It is currently Thu March 28th, 2024 11:58 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue June 10th, 2014 5:14 am 
Inactive

Stardate 88477.14
San Francisco, Earth

Jenna stood rigidly at attention, her eyes locked on the reproduction of Turner's "The Battle of Trafalgar" hanging above the Commander's desk. She'd stared at that painting so many times, she swore she could duplicate every last detail in her sleep.

"Explain to me again what possessed you to violate the rules of the exercise."

The curt, authoritarian voice broke Jenna's concentration. Only years of hard learned disciplinary lessons kept her eyes straight ahead. Knowing the futility of her protest before the words even left her mouth, she persisted, "As I've tried to explain, sir, I didn't cheat. Everything we did was within the rules..."

"You brought a quantum mortar on your field exam!"

"Sir, the exercise specified that we could use the contents of our shuttle..."

"Which did not contain a quantum mortar!" replied the Commander pointedly.

Jenna sighed and decided not to re-iterate her earlier explanation. The Commander would just acuse her to thinking he was going senile.

=/\=

Stardate 88476.03
Starfleet Academy Training Operation
Standard Orbit, Earth

Jenna turned away from the shuttle's helm console and addressed her squad, "Does everyone understand the plan? The timing's going to be tight."

Her team nodded hesitantly, except for Selus, the Vulcan field medic. "The plan is illogical, Mr. Starfall."

Jenna sighed, "We've been over this, Selus. The operation parameters state that we can use whatever is available on the shuttle."

"I don't think the intention was for us to replicate quantum mortars and portable shield generators."

"Then they shouldn't have left the patterns in the replicator." Jenna fixed the Vulcan with her best command stare, "It doesn't matter anyway. I'm the CO of this op, this is my plan, and you have your orders."

Selus nodded stiffly, "Yes, sir."

"Are you sure there will be enough time to replicate the equipment?" asked Marunk, a weedy Saurian whose facility with anything technical was incredible.

Jenna nodded, "Yes. By using a meteoric descent instead of a standard powered descent, we'll be down and replicating our gear well before the replicators are programmed to shut down."

Marunk blinked rapidly, "It's only supposed to be a simulated crash, remember?"

"Don't worry, it's not as risky as it sounds," Jenna chuckled. "Remember, the first astronauts re-entered relying only on air friction and cloth parachutes. We'll be fine; I've run it in the simulator."

Sensing a turning point in his team rapidly approaching, Jenna glanced at the chronometer, "Stations everyone, it's time for us to get underway."

=/\=

Startdate 88477.14
San Francisco, Earth

The Commander broke the sullen silnce, "Never mind the fact that you nearly crashed the shuttle..."

"I was in control the entire time, sir!"

"Bah!" The Commander waved dismissively, causing the commendations on his uniform jacket to catch the light and taunt Jenna. "You have the opportunity to be part of a family legacy in Starfleet, and you don't seem to take it seriously!"

Jenna's composure started to crack, "But... I... I do... Just because..."

Before she could say more, a feminine voice called out from elsewhere in the house, "Walter! Jenna! Dinner is ready!"

Commander Walter Starfall grunted as if in acknowledgement and stood up. "Jenna, you need to start taking Starfleet seriously. Stop flaunting rules and traditions. Start respecting them..." He sighed and stepped to the door, "Don't keep your mother waiting. Dismissed."

As the door closed behind the Commander, her father, she wiped away the tear that she hoped didn't start to fall while he was still in the room. "I do take it seriously..." she whispered.

Jenna sighed. She'd been so excited at how easily her team had been the training scenario because of her, admittedly unorthodox, plan, she'd rushed home immediately to tell her father. She hadn't noticed the stern expression on his face as he was staring at the blank comm screen as she'd burst into his office. The story had come tumbling out, including what was truly the most thrilling part of the whole exercise: the tritanium hull of the shuttle seeming to "sing" as it blazed a mile-long plasma trail across the upper atmosphere.

"I shouldn't have told him about the singing..."

She wiped her eyes and took a deep breath. Her mother hated it when Jenna and her father fought. Her mother wasn't stupid and knew when it happened, but she tried not to do it in front of her. Jenna squared her shoulders and prepared for what was going to be an awkward meal.

Current Mission: Twiddling your thumbs
Current Location: Where the Wild Things are
[=/\= ==================================== =/\=]

PostPosted: Sun June 22nd, 2014 6:01 pm 

Good read mate, well done :beer:

PostPosted: Sun June 22nd, 2014 6:37 pm 
Inactive

Nice read, thank you for posting it.

PostPosted: Sat June 28th, 2014 7:21 am 

Great Writing!

PostPosted: Sun June 29th, 2014 1:11 am 

Nice read!!! Thanx's

12th Fleet – Medical – Delta Squad
"Laws change depending on who's making them, but justice is justice." -- Odo (A Man Alone)
Bio - Solomon Malic

PostPosted: Thu July 24th, 2014 11:14 pm 
Inactive

Bravo. Keep it going

Sent from my iPhone while exploring Earth

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]