It is currently Thu October 17th, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Music is my religion
PostPosted: Tue February 18th, 2014 6:20 pm 
Inactive

One of the most important thing in my life, and I'm not just saying that to make an impression, is music. It helps me relax, it paves the way for my creativity, it makes me smile, makes me cry (one of the few things that can), it is the pinnacle of all good things made by humanity for humanity. And I am not disregarding other form of art and invention, no way. It is a personal view and I enjoy every single moment I spend listening to it.
In the words of Benjamin Britten

Quote:
It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. It has the beauty of loneliness of pain: of strength and freedom. The beauty of disappointment and never-satisfied love. The cruel beauty of nature and everlasting beauty of monotony.

But not all is depressing and disguise of beauty in the ugliness. It's only that all the classical and instrumental music share that statement, in some perspective.

But, I have an intention with this thread. I want it to be a celebration to music and diversity. Diversity amongst members of this fleet and their favorite music, tracks, bands and vocals. I would like you to share your personal favorites, or just the one you are listening right now and feel the urge to share it here, by it making an impression or just as a thought to share.
Music is my religion, that is what I agree with Hendrix.

I'm gonna share this with you, it motivated me to open this thread and it is something I really enjoy listening to. I love pianos, the sounds it produces are magical and heavenly, it relaxes me to the point I feel I'm no longer in this body. I just feel that way. I have played it in my young age, listened to it in my teen age while I was going through rough times; it helped me so much I cannot begin to describe. Even today I can't go without piano when things get a little down in my life. Fortunately that happens rarely as I have learned in my teen age that life if just a ride. And no, I didn't pick that phrase from Hicks, although I did use it here to shorten this wall.. :)

Hope you enjoy 12th.

Post subject: Re: Music is my religion
PostPosted: Tue February 18th, 2014 7:07 pm 

"Life is a ride like days on a train. Cities rush by like ghosts in the night. The rhythm of wheels, time fades away. Stations of a journey, destination: unknown." Yello, from the track "On Track" from the album "Pocket Universe". I only mention this because of your comment about life being a ride.

Yello is my all time favorite musical group, but I like almost every piece of music I hear. Frequently when I am writing, I put on Yello as it helps my creativity.

If you haven't heard him yet, you should take a listen to the work of Bear McCreary. He composed the music for the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica series and I heard his music in something else recently but I don't recall what it was. I like the BSG soundtrack (especially season 4) while I'm doing the Tau Dewa dailies. Somehow it fits well with what the Romulans are facing and the various enemies that emerge in their territory.

This one I like for Tau Dewa. I compare my runs through each set of enemies by how far into the piece I get before I kill the last ship. I don't ever get tired of this particular piece and the themes in it carry throughout season 4's soundtrack, so the whole thing is pretty dang awesome.

PostPosted: Tue February 18th, 2014 8:07 pm 

I recorded this yesterday... yep, it's me with a shameful plug (and probably a shameful performance to match).

I hear ya Pax, especially about piano.

And yes, I am aware of my derpy expressions and Cybermen-style wireless headphones! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue February 18th, 2014 9:43 pm 

I'm with you, Pax. Music is one of the most important things to me. It helps me relax, helps me write, helps me think. I am always amazed at how much better I feel when I get out of a concert with a band I love.

Thanks for sharing that music, too - it's fantastic! I had never heard the artist before, but I'll definitely be looking for more. And Baz!! NICELY DONE, and thanks for sharing! :-) I'm jealous - I used to play brass years ago, but I've lost the ability to play music any more. I'm thinking about picking up something new like piano or guitar though, so maybe again one day.

My favorite music is symphonic metal. My ships are all named after my favorite bands, and my officers are all named after singers and band members. I love the images the lyrics and music conjure in my imagination - I get a lot of inspiration from them. Bands like Nightwish, Leaves' Eyes, Sirenia, Epica... all amazing music to me. Eventually, I think I'm going to need to move to Europe - that's where nearly all of them are, and they don't always tour the States - when they do, I go out of my way to see them.

Here's an example from my favorite album, Xandria's Neverworld's End. This is one of my favorite songs on the album, although there's not a track on it that I don't enjoy. :-) I hope you like it!

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed February 19th, 2014 11:55 am 
Inactive

I find this on YT; the 80' trash, love that. We have those kind of parties regularly in my hometown. Although this one is not trashy, I just like the sound of it. I like dark ambient as well, there's something enigmatic about melancholic and deep, twisted sounds that draws me to it.

And I have the complete OST from BG on my hard disk, I listen to it even when I drive my bicycle. >.>

I like what I hear @Baz. Its very soothing. You play regularly? You have the talent, its noticeable. :P

I was listening to NightWish when I was younger, I experimented with everything. But nowdays I only stick with contemporary metal ( that's just wrong :D)..

I only listen to this kind of music when I need a rush, usually in a car. Or on in the woods with my bicycle. >.> But I listen to so much more when it comes to hyper mode..

OnT; I'm not listening to anything atm (well, exccept those above at that moment). *silence*

PostPosted: Wed February 19th, 2014 1:20 pm 

I'm always listening to music. In the car, on the computer, when i'm cooking, it's always on. Unlike a lot of people i like a lot of different music. My playlist atm is Queen, AC DC, Prodigy, Dire Straits, Alien Ant Farm, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Prodigy, Drowning Pool, Beastie Boys, Disturbed, Foo Fighters, Linkin Park, Nickelback and my personal favourite Jimi Hendrix. Also got the BSG soundtracks and the Star Trek soundtracks.

I named my cat Hendrix too btw.

This is just awesome, it combines my favourite musician with one of my favourite series.

PostPosted: Wed February 19th, 2014 5:31 pm 

Music is my life outside of work. I wouldn't be where I'm at without it.

Currently I'm listening to a newer band I discovered called Edgar Allen Poets.

PostPosted: Wed February 19th, 2014 8:48 pm 

I'm liking the Edgar Allan Poets. I've been a Poe fan for a long time. I've even pre-named my next dog "Poe" or more likely "Miss Poe" ThanX for sharing that one. I'll enjoy exploring their music. Their website is suitably strange in a cool way, and it has to be translated from Italian.

Baz, I like watching you play. You do it with the kind of relaxation an old pro does. When I attempted to learn piano, there was always a nervous tension. I found I like listening to it much more than playing.

Once I asked my cousin if she plays an instrument and she said, "Just the recorder." I thought it was a joke about the tape recorder and I still use it today, though updated. My instrument of choice now is an mp3 player. It turns out my cousin wasn't joking, just said something unintentionally funny.

PostPosted: Wed February 19th, 2014 9:25 pm 

Thanks Rosco, that's very kind of you :) My biggest problem is performing in front of people. To say I get bouts of performance anxiety would be an understatement, it's caused me to royally mess up several pieces so far. I have to perform on the course I'm studying, and in about a month I'll (hopefully) be doing a rendition of Clair de Lune, by Debussy. I'll mess it up, no doubt!

As an aside, I'm really liking some of the music suggested so far in this thread. I'm very melody-driven when it comes to music, and I have a very similar taste to what Husker mentioned. I'd love to try learning the Bear McCreary version of All Along The Watchtower, the Hendrix "original" is arguably the finest rock song of all time.

Also...

Recorders are awesome ;)

Last edited by Baz on Thu February 20th, 2014 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu February 20th, 2014 12:26 am 

I remember having to play a recorder in music class at school, i absolutely hated it. I preferred to sit at the back and just watch the others play.