It is currently Fri March 29th, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Thu October 17th, 2013 3:10 am 

Lunar Orbital Facility Copernicus
Conference Room

"Absolutely not! His actions resulted in the deaths of 5 crew members including himself. He failed the training syllabus, and to make matters worse he damaged the simulator. Which will take us days to fix, putting us behind schedule on cadet evaluations. The Tellarite failed. Case closed!"

The round faced Commander roughly tossed the PADD across the table and flopped back into his chair. His face flushed to a color as if he was trying to match the red piping of his uniform. The overweight man winced as he adjusted his bare swollen foot on the pillow in the chair next to him. Then regaining his irritation glared at the man standing at the other side of the conference table.

"You do not agree I take it?"

The standing man took a step forward, and collected the PADD from the table. Then stepped back to his initial position clasping his hands and the PADD behind his back. Although he wore the same red piping in his uniform, the physical features of the two Humans were starkly different. The standing man had a chiseled jaw line compared the the loose jowls of the seated officer. Blonde hair loosely curled on top, yet close clipped at the neck differed from the bald head looking back at him. One stood with his uniform well fitted, and neatly pressed. While the other sat in a uniform that hadn't been laundered neatly and was partially faded. After thinking how to answer for a moment the standing man spoke in a crisp Germanic accent.

"With all due respect Sir, I feel your assessment of Senior Lieutenant Oleb to be a bit harsh"

"How so?"

"He can not be expected to pass testing on a training syllabus he never took part of"

"He damaged my simulator"

"He was thinking on his feet"

"He killed himself, and four others"

"The complement of a Daedalus is over one hundred twenty. His actions were to preserve the ship"

"He failed to properly shut down the reactor, and combat the fire threat"

"He set a record for keeping the reactor online, and eliminated all of the fires"

"Needless destruction, and a disregard for preserving life"

"He coordinated efforts to evacuate the wounded"

The seated Commander clenched his jaw and glared. This review had gone on long enough, and he was irritated the Lieutenant Commander was interrupting his afternoon for such a trivial matter. More importantly if he pressed on this insignificant matter, he was certain to press other issues as well. It was time to send a message.

"Lieutenant Commander Heibert, I have made my decision. The cadet failed the simulator. The matter is closed. You may dispute the decision, but I warn you that any further attempts may impact your performance reviews as an instructor. Do I make my self clear?"

"Yes, sir"

"Good. Then you are dismissed. I have an afternoon appointment, and will be unavailable for a few hours."

The Commander adjusted himself in the chair, and leaned back folding both arms across his belly. Heibert realized no further progress was possible, and the veiled threat unsettled him. He spun on his heels and strode from the room. As he walked he passed a control room for the training ship Recruit simulator going through a bridge watch evaluation. Next came a transporter room where a few 'casualties' awaited their turn. He stopped to talk with the training staff, and look over their make up. As he glanced at the monitor Heibert saw this one was a Damage Control exercise, and was progressing nicely.

Satisfied he continued on and found a large window that overlooked the Recruit moored to the docking ring, and went over his thoughts. He replayed the simulation over in his head. The argument just had, and tried to determine was it more the perceived unfairness to the Tellarite that bothered him, or just a lack of respect for his superior. Chance of a lifetime, or career suicide. He mulled over the decision he placed ahead of him. Afterall he was initially excited when he was posted to the training station. Now more than ever was proper instructors required as Earth embraced new species into the fold. The question was could he hold his tongue and work under the current chain of command.

LCDR Heibert entered his staff office, and saw his aide stare at him.

"It wasn't that bad"

He saw relief flash across his face, as he returned to his duties. While Heibert crossed to the large board with the pending, passed, and remedial columns full of personnel file photos of cadets he was responsible for. Although the board had many faces he was locked in on the Tellarite in the Remedial column. Heibert knew he had to make things right.

"Jenkins, any ships slated for integrated crews currently docked at the station?"

His aide stared at him for a moment, and could see the LCDR standing right in front of the remedial column. He tapped a few keys, and accessed the computer.

"Currently Three, sir. An two more slated for arrival Friday"

"Friday is too long. Which three are here now?"

"Tornado, and Thunderchief. both Intrepid types, and the Najaden"

"Any of them have their Captains on the station?"

"Yes Sir, the Najaden"

"Contact him if you please, put him through to my office"

"Yes Sir"

PostPosted: Mon November 18th, 2013 9:43 pm 

11th Day of May, 2155
Office of Admiral M. Williams

The distinct clack of heels echoed through the hallway as the two MACO officers strode together in matching step. The two newcomers raised more than a few curious glances from the small group of space fleet garbed personnel assembled outside of Admiral Williams office. They stepped into the center of the waiting area, looked around a moment to make eye contact, then the taller of the two announced their purpose.

"Security detail for the Thunderchief. Is the Captain here?"

Kratal Thanien looked up, and took in the two humans for a moment. He had heard mixed reviews on the 'Military Commandos' that would be assigned as a security team to his command. He had no evidence to make his own opinion on the matter, just the words Shran had spoke to him just two days ago echoing inside his head.

"I Command the Thunderchief"

The two MACO's crossed over to him as he stood. Thanien began to extend his hand; however, the two snapped to attention then quickly took another stance which clasped their hands behind their backs. There was no handshake, nor informal tone, and the Andorian felt slighted. Again the taller one spoke.

"I am Captain Little, this is Warrant Officer Kimura. He is the team leader, and OIC for the detail assigned to the Thunderchief"

"OIC?" Thanien asked.

The taller officer cracked a small smile, clearly amused at the 'aliens' unfamiliarity with the acronym.

"Officer in charge"

"I see"

Sensing the escalating tension Warrant Officer Kimura produced a PADD.

"Roster, and personnel records for my team, Captain"

Thanien turned to look at him. His demeanor was different than the taller one. Thanien didn't get a sense of contempt, and arrogance like in his counterpart.

"Commander, not Captain"

"But you are Captain of the Thunderchief. On Earth it is customary-" The taller one clipped in before Thanien cut him off.

"I am not posted on Earth, nor am I human as you well know. I am Commander Kratal Thanien of the Andorian Imperial Guard. Posted to Command an Earth Vessel in a co-operation venture between our two species. I have not joined the Earth service, nor will I respond to a nick name pink skins use!"

He hadn't intended to let the irritation in his voice be so readily evident. Thanien took a deep breath then looked again at Kimura.

"Now then. How many are in your team Warrant Officer Kimura?"

"Fifteen, Commander"

"You will assign three more from the other species participating in this assignment"

"I do not understand"

"Your team are all humans, correct?"

"Yes Commander"

"This entire venture is to foster an attempt at inter-species co-operation. It would only seem prudent to have a security team element also represent this same endeavour"

"MACO's are trained to work in teams of five. Adding three will throw off the whole balance of team dynamics" The taller MACO officer said flatly.

"Fine. Then you have to add another five to your team. I would prefer at least one to be an Andorian, but I will leave the actual selection to you"

"Adding another five will make berthing accommodations tight Commander, perhaps you would like to review the specifications of your ship before asking for this little crew addition" Captain Little was staring at the wall, but his glare still noticeable.

"I am well aware of the space limitations Captain. Let me reassure you that your personnel will not have to sleep in a closet. Warrant Officer Kimura, after I meet with the Admiral I will have a better idea of the time frame you have for evaluations. How is the best way to reach you?"

"I am in BOQ, Commander. That is Base Officer quarters. The enlisted are housed in Building 47"

"Very well. Unless there is anything further?"

Thanien sat down again as the two MACO's departed. This experience seemed to only confirm the mixed reactions others had shared about their interactions, and Thanien mulled over how the team he was assigned would fit in with this integration of species that was so far showing alot of strain and tension.

PostPosted: Sat March 22nd, 2014 7:36 am 

Office of Admiral M. Williams
Later that afternoon

Commander Thanien strode into the room, and instantly became aware of the awkwardness. As he approached Admiral Marcus Williams rose, and came out from behind the desk. As the Andorian arrived he grasped the extended hand to participate in the 'handshake' he was now becoming familiar with. Thanien quickly studied the human's expression with slight amusement, as the Andorians had nicknamed the Humans 'pink skin' yet this one had an almost brown complexion.

Aware of the two Vulcans standing silently across the room the Admiral turned to introduce them out of formality, rather than necessity. The Andorian sensed the awkwardness came from them, not the Human.

"Commander, you remember Ambassador Kuvak, and Fleet Commander Sopek"

Kuvak dipped his head slightly in what passed as the Vulcan gesture of a greeting. While Kuvak who was facing the window turned his head just enough to make eye contact, before returning is gaze on the vista beyond. After an awkward silence Admiral Williams returned to his desk, but didn't sit.

"Right then, to business. Commander, I'll be blunt. The Thunderchief isn't ready. A discrepancy was discovered that requires some extensive time in our shipyard. I'm sorry"

"I understand Admiral. Would transferring my crew aboard assist your shipyard conduct the necessary repair work?"

"Is your staffing complete?"

"It can be if that is required. I just met my MACO detachment, and have asked them to adjust some personnel. Some of the other departments are close to final selections as well. Nothing that can not be completed while we assist your shipyard."

"If I may ask.. Why did you ask the MACO detachment to change personnel? Was there a conflict I should be aware of?

"No Admiral. I advised them they need to include some non-human species"

Admiral Williams chuckled slightly. "Non-humans?"

"Yes Admiral. This is an inter-species co-operative venture, and it seemed only natural to have the security detachment represent each of the involved species."

"That is... Logical" Fleet captain Sopek took a step forward. Then raised his head ever so slightly as he locked eyes with the Andorian. "You would require Vulcans to be included for the same reason?"

Thanien studied the Vulcan for a second. It was hard to put years of mistrust, and conflict behind the two species behind them so quickly. He had had a few interactions with Vulcans, and knew the tense atmosphere such meeting presented. He also felt the Vulcan was 'looking down on him' with how he held his head it was that Vulcan superior arrogance they would never admit they actually had. Thanien's eyes narrowed, and his antennae swiveled to add emphasis to his words.

"That would only be logical. wouldn't it?" He said flatly.

"I'm glad you feel that way Commander" Admiral Williams tried to break the growing tension. "Our Vulcan allies here have presented a Logical Solution.

Thanien turned his gaze back to the Admiral Williams who continued before the awkwardness returned.

"The Vulcans have offered many of their ships for training, or reverse engineering. We have decided to offer you the D'Kyr cruiser Najaden-ahn as a replacement"

"The Vulcan's have offered a ship?" Thanien's expression was utterly perplexed.

Sopek stepped forward, and the Andorian felt if Vulcan's could actually express the emotion of being smug this Vulcan definitely had it.

"Your complement for the Thunderchief was fifty two, correct? Though you yourself said not everyone was assigned"

"Fifty seven, and yes"

"A D'Kyr requires one hundred and forty seven to operate effectively. We have a crew currently aboard that would allow you un-dock with minimal delay"

"Let me guess. Your crew is all Vulcans" Thanien saw Sopek's eye twitch ever so subtlety. The idea that the Vulcan couldn't remain completely stoic reassured him there was an underlying reason the Vulcan's were offering him such a convenient solution. He turned to look at the Human.

"Admiral this is a training facility for Earth space humans is it not?"

"Yes it is. All of our species gain their instruction here, a few orbital facilities, and one off world settlement"

"Then let me propose this solution. In the interest on fully embracing this inter-species co-operation. My original crew for the Thunderchief transfer to the Najaden. Leaving about one hundred spots still needing to be filled. We split this between the existing Vulcan contingent, and any Humans that are open for assignment. If Tellarite, and Andorians are available we include them as we are able in addition to any other species that need an assignment. Acceptable?"

Thanien looked at the three trying to gauge their reactions. Admiral Williams seemed content, The Ambassadors back showed little reaction, but Sopek had a stare that Thanien could not quite place. He felt the Vulcan was trying to dispute the proposal, but could not say the solution was without an attempt at compromise. If the Vulcan's had a hidden agenda now is when it would have to come out even if only a small hint of what that agenda was regarding. Finally Sopek's weight shifted slightly, he had reached his internal decision.

"While you present a logical solution, I must point out it is not the most efficient. The overall performance of the Najaden-ahn will be diminished without a fully trained and competent crew. Using the currently available crew would be more effective."

"I agree with you Fleet Commander Sopek, but does that not counter this effort to integrate our three species? Using an existing crew does not move that effort forward."

"A valid point. You do not wish to delay, to increase the numbers of Androians?"

"Tellar, and Andoria can be contacted to fill vacancies as the Vulcan's train suitable replacements. Are there suitable Human trainees to fulfill these needs Admiral?"

Admiral Williams took a deep breath as he considered his response.

"Earth can supply enough personnel if you are comfortable not requiring the same amount of your own from the Imperial Guard"

"Thank you Admiral. Then the matter is settled?"

Fleet Commander Sopek turned to the Ambassador who still stood looking through the window, and after a small delay he nodded softly. Sopek stepped forward to hand over a PADD.

"Specifications, and technical schematics of the Najaden-ahn. I will inform the Captain to transmit personnel files to you shortly. How long do you require to familiarize yourself with the diagrams?"

"I will be familiar by the time the personnel are selected. Admiral, how much time does Earth need to assign personnel to a starship?"

"A couple days should be adequate, Commander"

"Then the Najaden can be ready for assignment in a couple days."

Thanien saw the Vulcan blanch at his assessment.

"It will take more than a couple days to familiarize the new crew assignments to the adequate, and proper function of a Vulcan starship! Vulcan's train for years to be ready-"

"Ah but Fleet Commander Sopek, the Najaden is no longer a Vulcan high command ship. It is assigned to the Earth Space fleet and, under the command of an Andorian. We do not need to meditate on the proper ways to push a button." Thanien could hardly contain his smirk, nor did he have the desire to.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2