It is currently Fri March 29th, 2024 12:31 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sat January 21st, 2012 2:36 am 
Inactive

(OOC: As I write this, I’m constantly making changes as the story progresses. So if you read this and the next time you come back and you think “I don’t remember this…”, that’s why. I apologize in advance for the confusion.

As I write this, I’m considering the content in STO to be cannon for story purposes. There are a few exceptions to this. The biggest is the location of the Gamma Orionis / Pella sector block. The new post-DR map shows these sectors to be to the galactic ‘south’ of Sol. I have tried to figure this out, but it makes no sense at all to me. Both the main Borg Unimatrix and the first discovered portal to the Undine’s fluidic space were both discovered in the Delta Quadrant. Therefore, for this story’s purposes, the Gamma Orionis block is deep in the Delta Quadrant, though in a different section than where the Jenolan sphere is/will be.

The points other are more minor, most having to do with small details with tech/history/species in STO that don’t make sense to me. An example is how the Scimitar Dreadnoughts in STO still supposedly have Thaloron weaponry, despite both cannon and STOs storyline disagreeing with this. So again, for this stories purposes, the Thaloron weaponry were unique to the original Scimitar in ST: Nemesis. All remaining Scimitar-class warbirds still in service have what I’m calling a ‘Plasma Cascade’ device, still powerful, but nowhere near as lethal as the Thaloron weapon was.

I hope you enjoy the story. Remember, it’s all a work in progress.)

Prologue

Six months before the invasion of Vega Colony

------------------------------------------------------------
“You must move quickly zt’Jesak. You don’t have much time.”

“Acknowledged mt’Besra.” zt’Jesak responded into his com. The alien shifted four of his six eyes to gaze at his two companions. “How much longer, zt’Matath?” he asked. One of them, zt’Matath, peered at the chrono on one of his four tentacles with a set of his large, dark eyes. “30 sha’con.” zt’Matath replied. “Are you sure they haven’t detected us through the shroud?” he asked.

zt’Jesak bobbed his head, glancing around him. “No, so far I see no indication that the drones have detected us.” He looked at the third member of their party. “zt’Cho?”

zt’Cho stood a meter away, his four leg tentacles spread out in a sturdy stance, guarding the corridor. He looked at his scanner with a set of eyes, leaving the other four to continuously sweep the corridor. “No indication of detection.” He confirmed. He shifted his plasma weapon with two more of his tentacles, disarming the safety.

zt’Jesak nodded. He took a deep breath, trying to stay calm. He wished he was breathing in water instead of this methane rich air. Water is so much more pleasant, he thought. He grunted to himself. What a strange thing to think about in a time such as this, he thought. He focused his thought on the present.

The three large squid-like aliens stood in front of their main objective….a borg drone. Each of them were invisible to all except each other, their shrouds protecting them from detection. At least for now. zt’Jesak and zt’Matath were both preparing their instruments, while zt’Cho kept watch. The drone, seemingly oblivious to the three intruders, stood still in his alcove, regenerating. zt’Jesek found himself wondering which of the thousands of assimilated species he once belonged to. The thought pained him, causing him to think about his own people, and how precious few of them were left after the Borg had assimilated their home world.

He focused his mind, letting the pain galvanize his thoughts. We cannot fail in this mission, he thought. Far too much is at stake. He glanced again at his two companions. He had never before met such brave Gwentasi before. If they survived this, he would make sure that the Clan Singers would sing about their brave deeds whenever they sang their songs.

“Ready.” Zt’Matah reported. “Remember, we will have no more than 80 sha’con once we start before we are detected. Probably less.” He said. zt’Jesak nodded. “Acknowledged. Proceed as soon as I stun the drone.” he paused, the three comrades sharing a moment of silence. They each nodded. They knew how slim their chances were to get out alive. But they knew how critical this mission was, not just for what was left of their people, but to trillions of other lives as well.

“May the Singers remember our deeds.” Zt’Jesak muttered. He positioned his stun wand just inches away from the drones neck, one of the only exposed skin areas of the drone. He took a long deep breath…

“Now.”

"Let's give history a new definition for what it means to cross the Rubicon."

Mako Calloway, Captain U.S.S. Rubicon

12 Fleet - Medical Division - Alpha Squad
M / D.I.R.T. - Medical / Disaster Immediate Response Team

(Biography:http://forums.12th-fleet.com/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=11454)

Interested in Role Playing? Join the 12th Fleet Medical division!

Last edited by MakoCalloway on Sat December 6th, 2014 2:52 am, edited 9 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat January 21st, 2012 6:53 pm 

I call being Lt.Commander Wilson!!!! Good story so far, want more.

PostPosted: Sun January 29th, 2012 9:14 am 
Inactive

Spatial grid 3492, Unimatrix 847, Sphere 143. Class Y star. Derelict starship located. Starship matches ships used by species 7311. Species already assimilated into collective. No new relevant technology located. Proceeding on previous course.

Spatial grid 2661, Unimatrix 712, Probes 29, 128. Binary star system, class J, Y. Gravitational pull makes location of optimal site for transwarp conduit construction probable. Proceeding with system survey.

Spatial grid 8152, Unimatrix 437, Cubes 13, 143, 97, Spheres 23, 84, 14, 29, 99, 110. Class G star system, 4th planet in system. Species 9021. Planet assimilation in progress. 42% complete. Resistance: moderate. Estimated time for planet wide assimilation: 3 days, 7 hours,12 minutes.

The Queen let the information flow over her, her eyes closed. Her face was serene, as she felt all of the billions of drones that made up the collective go about their various tasks. She relished the feeling, each addition adding to their, to her, perfection.

Her mind focused on a drone on a distant world. The young woman had just been assimilated, the borg nanite probes working furiously to assimilate her body system into the collective. Her mind was not completely assimilated yet….the Queen could almost taste the fear of the woman. She reached out to her. Do not fear, she said through the probes that had begun to reconstruct her neural pathways. Soon you will feel the tranquility of the collective. Soon you will be part of perfection.

The Queen stayed focused on the woman. Moments later, the fear was gone. Replaced was a voice, joined by billions of others. Many voices, one thought. One will. Her will. The Collective.

The Queen laughed. She never would understand why species fought so hard to avoid becoming assimilated, to become perfection. No matter, she thought whimsically, they would learn. They all would learn eventually. We have been at this for thousands of years. Whats a few thousand more? They would all…

She stopped, her line of thought broken. Something was wrong. One of the billions of drones voices stopped. But not one that should have. She focused her thoughts. Spatial grid 5670, Unimatrix 27, Sphere 13. Drone group 132. Four of Twelve. The drone was in the middle of a regenerative cycle and just….went silent. The Queen focused closer. The Sphere was in warp, traveling between systems. No other ships were detected. The drones diagnosis report during his regeneration cycle showed the drone to be within acceptable parameters. No malfunctions were detected.

Something else is going on here, she thought. She activated the closest drones and ordered them to close on their comrades last known position.

Last edited by MakoCalloway on Sun October 5th, 2014 3:56 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon January 30th, 2012 7:10 am 
Inactive

The syringe that zt’Jesak had plunged into the neck of the drone was almost full, containing the Borg’s blood. But far more important than the blood, was the nanites that the blood contained.

30 sha’con had past. The extraction took much longer than it normally would for a simple extraction of blood. But this was not normal blood. The nanites had been furiously trying to close the wound as soon as they detected the needle prick. Even against the special bio-molecular coating that covered the needle, the nanites attack slowed the extraction of blood considerably. While it slowed their progress, it was actually a good thing. It meant that their intelligence was correct: this sphere was one of the ships in the collective that was using the same next generation of nanites that were in the pair of drones they captured in the S’rakek system. Those nanites had all self-destructed seconds after their hosts had died. But the syringe that these nanites were being collected in was specially designed to cryo-freeze them and the blood almost instantly. All of their motor functions would stop, including their self-destruct mechanisms, until the nanites could safely be reactivated in the lab. Just a few sha’con more.

“Movement.” zt’Cho said, in a calm voice. Two of zt’Jesak’s sets of eyes remained on the syringe, as the third set glanced at his companion. “Do the detect us?” he asked? Zt’Cho didn’t reply immediately, taking a moment to analyze the movement of the drone coming toward them both physically and on the scanner. “They know something’s wrong, based on the change in his movement compared to the others, but I don’t think that they…”

Zt’Cho stopped in mid-sentence as the approaching drone stopped, bare meters from the trio. The drone remained motionless for a moment, then a beam from his eye piece scanned the area. Moments later, jets of coolant began to spray out of the walls around them.

“They have us.” zt’Cho said, as the coolant caused their shrouds to flicker. The calm voice was misleading, being the natural way the Gwentasi communicated. Rarely did they let emotions be shown in their physical speech, even in tense situations. But behind those calm words, za’Jesak knew the exact apprehension that his friend was feeling, because he felt it too. Zt’Cho and zt’Matath raised their plasma rifles as five more drones were activated and began moving towards them. They started firing, catching the first and second off guard. “We have to move. Now. “zt’Cho said, as he stunned a third.

95%...100%. zt’Jesak thought. “I have it.” he reported. The three began to move backwards toward the corridor they were in, which was filling up quickly with drones. A plasma bolt reflected off of a drone into a nearby console. “They’re adapting.” zt’Cho noted, as he and zt’Matath bravely tried to hold of the group in front of them, and za’Jesak began to fire at the group approaching from behind.

“mt’Bersa, we need immediate transport. ” zt’Jesak said into his comlink, again in the misleadingly calm voice that was native to his species. His rifle finished cycling to a new frequency and he instantly resumed firing on the drone torrent that was rapidly approaching from the rear.

“Acknowledged.” mt’Bersa’s voice came back over the comlink. “I can only beam two of you back at once. There’s too much interference. The drones are trying to jam the transport signals.”

zt’Jesak gritted his teeth. He knew what had to be done. He knew the odds of getting the three of them out were slim, so he was prepared to be the one that stayed behind if the mission dictated it. He started to hand the vial of nanites to zt’Matath with one of his tenticles. “You two..” he began, but was cut off by another voice.

“mt’Bersa, condition 3. Initiate.”

zt’Jesak whirled around to his companion as the matter stream began to envelope him. Zt’Cho flashed him the Gwentasi equivalent of a smile. “Goodbye old friend.” he said. Before zt’Jesak could reply, his atoms were already in transit across space to their cloaked ship.

--

Zt’Cho watched his friends de-materialize. He stopped firing, knowing that there was only a few sha’con left before they over ran his position. He had yet two final things to do, which he did in quick succession. He clamped down on an implant in his mouth, releasing a deadly, corrosive poison into his bloodstream. He spoke one last time into the comlink.

“mt’Bersa…I’ll always love you. Sing my song.”

Then the drones were on him.

Last edited by MakoCalloway on Sun October 5th, 2014 4:00 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed February 29th, 2012 11:49 am 
Inactive

“…love you. Sing my so….”

mt’Bersa’s head bowed, as zt’Cho’s transmission cut to static. She shut all six of her eyes, as the tears began to flow. I love you too, she thought, silently weeping over the loss of her mate.

They had had a long debate about zt’Cho’s plan if things went wrong. She had refused several times, until her mate’s logical arguments about how zt’Matath and zt’Jesak’s skills were too important to this mission begain to convince her. Zt’Cho was important, but the other two were critical. When it came down to it, zt’Cho felt he was expendable. He knew that zt’Jesak, the group’s leader, and zt’Cho’s best friend, would have never let him make that sacrifice. So the arrangement was made in secret between the two mates.

mt’Bersa reluctantly agreed, but she didn’t think she’s really have to do it. She was so sure she’d be able to pull all three of them out. Even when the jamming started, she was furiously trying to cut through the interference when she heard her mate initiate the plan.

Signing his own death sentence.

The door behind her opened, and the two remaining Gwentasi came in. She straightened her posture, and regained enough of her composure to turn around, and stare into the eyes of her mate’s best friend.

“I’m sorry.” zt’Jasek said quietly. The two of them exchanged mournful stares at each other for what seemed like an eternity. Then reality snapped them back into the present. “zt’Matah, secure the sample in the lab.” zt’Jasek ordered. “ mt’Bersa, time to go. We need to get as far from this sphere as possible. Course plot plan zefka 3. We’ll hit the 5 decoy points as fast as we can, leave fake transponders at each, and then head for the rendezvous point.”

mt’Bersa said nothing. She moved silently to the navigation console and began plotting their course.

“Plotted.”

Zt’Jasek nodded. “Initiate.” He said.

The small craft jumped to warp. As the ship began to hurtle through space, her captain silently tried to come to grips with precious price they just paid. And try to convince himself that it had been worth it.

He stared out at the streaking stars, wondering, yet again, why the universe was so cruel.

Last edited by MakoCalloway on Sun October 5th, 2014 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 14th, 2012 7:01 am 
Inactive

The queen let her mind sail across the consciousness of the collective, toward the disturbance. There. She could begin to feel the presence of another consciousness, as her nanites invaded this interloper’s mind and preformed their efficient job of assimilation. The process was far enough along that she could start to feel the link of his mind.

Well, well. She ‘said’, communicating across light-years to her new acquisition. Species 112. I thought I had assimilated all of your people. It’s quite a surprise to find you after so long a time.

We’re more… resilient than you give us credit for, a ‘voice’ thought back.

The Queen chuckled. A few strays are hardly what I would call ‘resilient’, zt’Cho is it? You and you’re friends will be mine soon enough.

You’re…mistaken. Zt’Cho came back. Even now …you’re …looking for our ship….but you can’t find ….it. And you won’t take….me.

The queen mentally frowned slightly at the last statement. Indeed, something was amiss. By now, the assimilation process should have been far enough along that she should be sensing his thoughts clearly. He should no longer be thinking as an individual, but as part of the collective.

She stretched herself to the limit, sensing the individual nanites. They were indeed hard at work assimilating the creature. But there was something….else. Many of the nanites were being destroyed. By what? Poison? Doubtful, they would adapt. Unless…

She moved her mind from a microscopic ‘view’ to a more macro view of what was going on in the inside of this being. And there it was. There WAS a foreign poison in his system. But it wasn’t just poisoning his system, it also had a highly corrosive attribute that was literally burning through his tissues and organs faster than the nanites could respond.

Clever. The Queen said. It would seem we won’t have the pleasure of getting to know each other, she said in an almost pouty tone. Then she laughed. She began to feel him start to slip away.

Before you go, tell me something. The Queen said, almost as an afterthought. Why are you here? A last bitter attempt at strinking against the perfection that the rest of your people have already attained? With three people? No, that can’t be it. You had another agenda. Wanted a few nanites did you? And what, pray tell, are you going to do with those? Try to make some super weapon against us? We both know how THAT turned out last time. She laughed her cruel laugh again.

You…don’t…understand. zt’Cho had only seconds left, the Queen could feel him slipping further and further away. Not…against..yo..you. T..h..e..y..’..re…coming…

The Queen raised a mental eyebrow. Not the response she expected from a dying man. Oh? And who might ‘they’ be? He had piqued her curiosity. He didn’t reply…he was too far gone to focus his mental voice. She stretched out with her mind, trying to see a mental image. But it was all fading…random thoughts, images…nothing made sense…until…

She breathed in violently as her eye lids flung open. She looked around wildly in her chambers, breathing heavily. That last image…

The Queen was so smug, so sure of her own perfection, that through the centuries, the actions of other races rarely evoked an emotional response other than her usual, almost whimsical, arrogance. There was only a handful of species that had ever caused her to react with another emotion.

There was species 1, who she regarded with a cold hatred. Species 8472, whom she viewed with a mild respect for resisting as long as they had, but was quickly followed by a sledge hammer of determination to assimilate the species into the collective. And then there were the humans, which she regarded with both annoyance and a touch of curiosity.

But the feeling that she just felt, was so rare, that she was surprised by its raw intensity.

Fear.

It was brief, but it was there. She recovered quickly, the previous jovial sarcasm gone. What replaced it was a hard, cold determination.

She had to find that ship that carried the dead Gwentasi’s comrades. And she had to find it NOW. She shut her eyes concentrating. She became so focused that her Grand Alcove began to shake. The drones near her felt her cold icy will flow over them like a tidal wave.

And even as she threw her full might into directing the trillions of drones under her command, there was still a small portion of her mind that that refused to focus, locking itself on the last image of the Gwentasi’s mind.

Species 12.

Death itself.

The image’s glowing eyes bored into her soul as she immersed herself ever deeper into the collective.

Last edited by MakoCalloway on Sun October 5th, 2014 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 14th, 2012 7:03 am 
Inactive

Coming soon…

Last edited by MakoCalloway on Sat March 29th, 2014 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 14th, 2012 7:04 am 
Inactive

Coming soon…

Last edited by MakoCalloway on Sat March 29th, 2014 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 14th, 2012 7:06 am 
Inactive

Coming soon…

Last edited by MakoCalloway on Sat March 29th, 2014 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 14th, 2012 7:28 am 
Inactive

Coming soon…

Last edited by MakoCalloway on Sat March 29th, 2014 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next