It is currently Fri April 19th, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sun April 6th, 2014 5:00 pm 

Hello everyone i wish to pose a question to you all

What would you think if SWTOR had the same gameplay in space as STO?

For me I think it would be fun not to mention PVE that could be made to enjoy it. Face it the space battles to me feel like an arcade were you follow a predetermined flight plan, no moving to fight Capital ships or free roam around a map. Yes I understand that the story in SWTOR is about you and your mission, not to mention you have a rather small ship compared to the Capital ships. But still I think maybe that they should have put some more effort in the space battles and exploration. They could have done like Xwing or Tiefighter games did in the past that was fun leaving your ship to take out fighters or with a few dozen npc's take out a Capital ship.

Look at this as an example they could have made it were as a smuggler when not on the main mission you could have done some actual smuggling runs for the republic. Or as a Bounty Hunter again not doing the main mission could collect bounties on NPC or other players similar in GTO V were you could put a bounty on a player. Same could be done here except it would have to be in PVP or challenge. I know some will not like what i said but i wish they could have made the game more like STO in regards to space and character career PVE. The story for each Class is Awesome like a mini movie not to mention the graphics they put in when your players speak tin there cameos. The way you can see them talk and every word your character says is in sync with the movement of the lips as well as the expressions they make is something STO could use as well.

Thanks for Reading and i really want to here your opinion in this subject. :beer:

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun April 6th, 2014 5:37 pm 
Inactive

oooooooh man iv been saying this for ages, if SWTOR had the same space gameplay as STO then i think STO would become obsolete,

PostPosted: Sun April 6th, 2014 5:45 pm 

Space combat in that game is one of the reasons I stopped playing it :(

PostPosted: Sun April 6th, 2014 6:23 pm 

Alot of reasons why I stopped SWTOR, and this is one of them.
Also I like to modify my character alot and STO spoils me with that. And I know in the beginning of STO you flet alone, but even on the starter map and on Coruscant I never met another player willingto play together...

The only thing I liked about the game was the movies and voice work, that was great!

The 12th Fleet Science Division Zeta Squad
USS Illustrious NCC 198206
Ready on Arrival
=/\= ================================= =/\=

PostPosted: Mon April 7th, 2014 2:28 am 

tor is designed to be cinematic. sto is designed to be played.

space combat is lack luster but the thing that puts a bee in my bonnet is the payout to remove your hat from your portrait and the the oh you can only use ONE trade skill as a freeper.

USS Lusitania NCC-93015 Nebula Class

Patrolling

Infected/Cleared, Cure/Cleared, Kithomer Accord/Cleared, Terradome/Cleared
Foundry FED: Player Concept Housing*, Great Raid (part 1), Training Ground 2.0, Ultimate Deathmatch, Redshirt Zombie, All Hallows Eve

*Down for Repairs

PostPosted: Mon April 7th, 2014 3:07 am 
Inactive

It's also worth noting that space combat in SW owes more to WW2 air combat (compare the trench run in SW to the attacks in The Dambusters, for example) while ST's, and therefore STO's, space combat is generally slower and more naval in nature.

TOR was very impressive in some ways (good writing and lavish production values) but the gameplay was a dumbed down WoW circa early Burning Crusade and the F2P model - such of it as I've seen - strikes me as greedy beyond belief. For all that I've moaned about Cryptic's prices at times, at least the buyable elements are optional and they don't cripple core gameplay for F2Pers.

PostPosted: Mon April 7th, 2014 5:08 am 

Wow i did not think i really get a response like this thanks everyone! :dancing:

But many bring up good points I think EA has lost a lot of its ingenuity i mean take Mass Effect the first one was a bit underwhelming but still good could use a few tweaks but still good story, then comes Mass Effect two were they fix many problems and make a outstanding story not to mention gameplay. Then mass effect 3 the game that ends the Trilogy it was to be the final battle that decided if the galaxy wins with a big bang or dies with a whimper. All the hard work you put into the first two as well as getting everything needed to defeat the reapers(hours of playing the multiplayer to get that 100%, then again it might just be me :shrug:)and what do you get a cheesy ending that left you wondering what the hell. Then after tens of thousands of people complained and protested change the ending which in my opinion were just as bad.

In my opinion I think EA cares only about profit and not making a game that brings many people back just "make a sequel so we can get old fans to buy it and then not care if they like it or not". i mean i have friends who love Battlefield, together we played many hours on BF2 and BF3 and yes they had lots of glitches and being unbalanced but i gave them the benefit the doubt because they were trying to be different than COD. Eventually they fix the problems and BF3 was fun.
BUt then me and my friends buy PS4"s just to play BF4 ( well not just for that i think its slightly better than Xbox One right now plus it was cheaper....well not by much) who then after playing said the hell with it because it was unbalanced, something in my opinion after making so many they would be able to say "Well after making so many and fixing the same problems over and over lets make a game the same way and cause so much frustration that they'll stop playing but who cares we have there money."

I think EA really needs to sit down with its developers and Say "listen for now on we will not interfere with your development nor pester you to make a product fast so we can earn a quarter profit, and i return develop games that will bring players back and stay playing for the foreseeable future"

I know it won't happen but its a nice thought tho.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon April 7th, 2014 5:20 am 

On another thought do you think they should have a ranking system similar to STO?

And would that rank allow you to higher tier ships like say a cruiser which in SWTOR would be considered a capital ship?

I mean really there definition of a heavy cruiser would be considered a dreadnaught or super dreadnaught on ME and the norm in Halo.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon April 7th, 2014 10:24 am 

ToR's space game is modeled after the space battles seen in the Star Wars films and while there are capital ships involved those fights mainly involve fighters and ships no larger than the Millennium Falcon.

Limiting the players to smaller fast moving ships pushes the game play towards a more arcade model as opposed to STOs more tactical gameplay.

If ToR was to bring in player controlled Capital Ships then a more STO like mechanic could (and in fact should) be used. However I feel that using STO like gameplay with the current ship types in ToR would not work very well, it would be a bit like playing this game with nothing but Runabouts and the odd Delta-Flyer.

Tbh ToRs old space PvE game (an on-rails shooter) is boring is hell and the new PvP game (Galactic Starfighter) is well implemented IMO but better suited for PvE games like Freelancer or Wing Commander not a PvP set up.

However before everyone starts getting down on ToR I would like to point out that ToR is primarily a ground based MMO and that ground game is a awful lot better than the one found in STO. ToR is a ground based MMO and the vast majority of it's content is ground based, STO is more focused on Space based gameplay so it is natural that both would be better than the other in the areas they focus on and lag behind in the gameplay elements that are more or less considered a side game.

In the ideal world we'd have the ground game of ToR matched with the space game of STO. Such a match up would create the best sci-fi MMO of all time and probably the best MMO out-right. However Star Wars was always more about hitting things with lightsabers and Star Trek about flying around in big starships firing photon torpedoes, so I doubt we'll ever see that combination.

Oh and if you hadn't already guessed I play ToR a lot, I have been playing it from launch and can't see myself leaving anytime soon :P I;ve also tried WoW, DCU, LoTRO, Rift, Terra, Neverwinter, FFXIV ARR and Wildstar (beta) and none of them held my attention long enough (each for different reasons) to drag me away from ToR and no STO. I think there is room for 2 MMOs in my life and these 2 are them, as I think they compliment each other nicely.

PostPosted: Mon April 7th, 2014 11:48 am 

The reason i stopped playing is it takes me 2 full days to patch it.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next