It is currently Mon June 17th, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: TOS Uniforms
PostPosted: Sat March 20th, 2010 12:36 am 
Inactive

Not sure if everyone gets these or not but if you do n ot have access and would like them, Beckett Massive Online Gamer magazine has in the May/June 2010 issue a free code for getting it for your account.

=/\= ================= =/\=
Lt. Ahanu
Medical Division; Delta Squad
The 12th Fleet

Post subject: Re: TOS Uniforms
PostPosted: Sat March 20th, 2010 1:32 am 
Inactive

Do you know if is just the regular TOS or the Mirror TOS as well?

Current Mission: " A 5 year mission, to boldly go....."
Current Location: Behind you ;-)

=/\= ================================================== =/\=

ImageImage

Playing from Nevada - USA
"It's not tragic to die doing what you love to do"

PostPosted: Sat March 20th, 2010 1:54 am 

I hope it's an alternative version of the DDE TOS uniforms though.. I'd feel screwed over else by Cryptic. Naturally it's cool that they add in such codes and especially if it involves a mirror universe uniform.

Which country sells these magazines? Perhaps one of us can buy a magazine for me? (I'll transfer the money needed ofc.)

PostPosted: Sat March 20th, 2010 1:58 am 

Nvm, I've done some further investigating, you can also order their magazines online!

http://store.beckett.com/Gaming-and-Ent ... ine-Gamer/
That's a direct link to their store. :D

I wonder though, will they have an unique code per magazine or will they feature 1 code that is the same to everybody? If it's the last then could somebody who already used his code give it to me so I can try it out?

Only info I can find on their site is that they're giving away 3 free boxes that you can win; http://www.massiveonlinegamer.com/news/ ... rek-online

Also found some info on the forums; http://forums.startrekonline.com/showth ... ?p=2380782
Just got my (subscriber) issue of Beckett Massive Online Gamer in the mail today and it looks like an issue that all STO people are going to want to run out and grab!

The cover story is for STO with a nice painting of Spock and the headline everyone wants to read: "STO In-Game Item Code"!

And it's a pretty good one, Original Series uniforms.

Another post I just found; http://forums.startrekonline.com/showth ... ?p=2387321
I was just at WalMart and saw a copy of Beckett's on the rack..yes, this month's edition with Spock on the cover and the special code inside for STO. So I picked it up and started looking through it. Free STO giveaway..nope..Borg info..nope..ah...special code for TOS uniforms complete with shots of the uniforms on male and female...

TOS uniforms, exact same ones I got with my DDE purchase, NOT the ones from The Cage.

And another post; http://forums.startrekonline.com/showth ... 82&page=11

I can confirm that the code is for the EXACT same uniform as the one from the DDE. I was able to see it when the player Gul DuJour showed me his uniform.

It was identical to my current ToS uniform.

Informative post with screenshots; http://forums.startrekonline.com/showth ... p?t=140456

Let the rage on the STO forums begin... I'm one of those 'idiots' that bought both the DDE (mostly for the TOS uniforms) and a collectors edition (for the DS9/ TNG series uniform) that now basicly wasted roughly 60 euros. Guess I don't have to buy the magazine then. :?

I really wonder if it's only the shirt though or also the mini skirts/ pants. If it's only the shirt then personally I couldn't care less. No offense to anybody, but the TOS shirt sucks in looks. :P
I would be really pissed off though if everybody suddenly gained access to the mini skirts/ pants. I really wonder when their marketing department will stop making such screw ups, I believe this is the 3rd or 4th already within 1,5 month?

PostPosted: Sat March 20th, 2010 2:52 am 

Just received confirmation that the skirts are also part of the TOS code; http://forums.startrekonline.com/showth ... ost2401938

I really like STO but I really hate Cryptics marketing department. They should have made it very clear that after a month of publishment you would be able to get the exclusives that you paid extra money for would be made available through alternative sources later on.

Naturally they'd probably lose out on some sales intially, but it goes like this;
- Making STO - 15 million $
- Marketing STO 0,5 million $
- Being honest with your costumers and keeping your soul - priceless

:vulcan:

Anyways, off to bed for me.

Last edited by Nishka on Sat March 20th, 2010 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat March 20th, 2010 5:27 am 
Inactive

This is just the basic STO uniform with skirt and pants, not the Mirror versions.

The use of exclusive items later in game is not that uncommon in the gaming world. Bioware is going to release many of the special items for Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 through their in game store soon. I know LOTRO has done it as well. The novelty items are for the early buyers to say they where the first. Truth is 90% of the premium stuff you can get with a special edition or preorder is not a big deal anyway in games so buying makes little since.

I did however get the Collectors Edition of Star Trek Online, Dragon Age and the Witcher. Not becuase of the neat extra stuff but becuase it looks good on my shelf. :vulcan2:

Lt. Ahanu
The 12th Fleet

PostPosted: Sat March 20th, 2010 5:43 am 
Inactive

For anyone looking for this magazine, try Wal-Mart. I tried Barnes and Noble, and Game Stop without success, and found a stack at Wal-Mart.

United Federation of Planets
USS Melpomene NCC 911119-X
"Protecting the Federation on the Midnight Shift"
=/\= ====================== =/\=

PostPosted: Sat March 20th, 2010 11:17 am 

Ahanu wrote:
This is just the basic STO uniform with skirt and pants, not the Mirror versions.

The use of exclusive items later in game is not that uncommon in the gaming world. Bioware is going to release many of the special items for Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 through their in game store soon. I know LOTRO has done it as well. The novelty items are for the early buyers to say they where the first. Truth is 90% of the premium stuff you can get with a special edition or preorder is not a big deal anyway in games so buying makes little since.

I did however get the Collectors Edition of Star Trek Online, Dragon Age and the Witcher. Not becuase of the neat extra stuff but becuase it looks good on my shelf. :vulcan2:

Well yeah true, later in the game I guess would be okay, but with later I think of a period of like 6 months or something, not 1,5 month. :?

They shouldn't have called 'exclusive' at all if you ask me and be honest about it upfront. I do understand that they don't like to do that sorta thing cause people would just wait till it became available later on then, but grieving your own costumers is usually a really bad thing.
If anybody from marketing pulled a stunt like that at my company he'd get fired, sued for damages done to costumers and bad publicity and the director himself would get in his car and go to the clients to personally apologize (or at least write a fancy letter).
Granted, we sell our software product to other companies with deals between 10k - 500k euro while Cryptic sells a lot more copies for a far lower price, but I personally will never buy another Cryptic game again.
Blizzard became big and also had exclusive deals, but they kept them exclusive. They've never gone back on their word with this sorta thing and I trust them a lot more then I do Cryptic.

What Cryptic should have done was create new exclusives that are a different version of the original, they'd have sold it to new costumers in that case and existing costumers as well. I like to gather stuff, especially costumes like these and would have definately gotten a copy of the magazine in that case.

Anyways, no reason to get all wound up about anymore, it's what it is and there isn't anything I can do to change it. I do know though that no matter how good their next game is gonna be, I'm surily not gonna buy it. :P

PostPosted: Sat March 20th, 2010 4:39 pm 
Inactive

In fairness to Cryptic this might not be their fault. Atari has a lot of the final control with these promotions should it could be Atari decided to overstep.

I do however agree that this was done poorly.

Lt. Ahanu
The 12th Fleet

PostPosted: Sat March 20th, 2010 10:09 pm 
Inactive

A little off subject but I would like the see the Enterprise, both regular and Mirror, added to the game at some point.

Current Mission: " A 5 year mission, to boldly go....."
Current Location: Behind you ;-)

=/\= ================================================== =/\=

ImageImage

Playing from Nevada - USA
"It's not tragic to die doing what you love to do"