It is currently Thu March 28th, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed March 6th, 2019 1:01 am 

Greetings Cryptic Fans,

On April 11, we are sad to announce that we will be sunsetting the Foundry system for Neverwinter and Star Trek Online. This decision was not made lightly; the Foundry was a passion project for many of us, and we have loved seeing the unique stories and awesome content our Foundry Authors have produced. Developers and players alike have enjoyed using the Foundry and the friends we’ve made and the journeys we’ve had will live on in our memories.

Our team at Cryptic strives to create excellent content and maintain a high standard of quality for our games. However, the legacy knowledge required to maintain the Foundry at our quality standards is no longer available. Our goal is to continue creating top-notch content for our current and upcoming games - and the development time and resources required to maintain the Foundry would impede on these new features and systems. To reiterate, this decision does not impact any other game feature or content development for Star Trek Online, Neverwinter, Champions Online, or future titles.

We understand this decision impacts our incredibly passionate and creative players. We wanted to thank you all for the incredible amount of work you have shared with us and the entire community through the characters, worlds, and stories you’ve created. We don’t want to leave the contributions of both Foundry authors and enthusiasts unrecognized, so we will be providing the following rewards to our amazing Foundry community. Players who contributed or participated in the Foundry prior to today’s date, March 4th, 2019, will receive the following:

Star Trek Online Rewards

Players who have played one or more Foundry Missions will receive a Foundry Badge for their characters.

Players who have authored a Foundry Mission will receive a Botany Bay non-combat space pet.

Players who have been selected for a Spotlit Mission will receive a Foundry Spotlight, and a Genesis Torpedo Ground Device
https://pwimages-a.akamaihd.net/arc/b5/ ... 388229.png

[youtube]https://youtu.be/9_MMP4iRkXI[/youtube]

​Neverwinter Rewards

Players who played 10 or more Foundry missions will receive a Foundry-related title

Players who published 10 or more Foundry missions will receive a cape with the Foundry logo

The Foundry, and the community it bloomed, has been a unique and special aspect of our games that will leave lasting memories for our development teams and players. Please join us Today, March 4, at 3pm PT (when is this for me?) for a livestream tribute to The Foundry and all the incredible contributions you’ve made. Thanks again to all of you who shared a story, and to everyone who took the time to experience them.

USS Lusitania NCC-93015 Nebula Class

Patrolling

Infected/Cleared, Cure/Cleared, Kithomer Accord/Cleared, Terradome/Cleared
Foundry FED: Player Concept Housing*, Great Raid (part 1), Training Ground 2.0, Ultimate Deathmatch, Redshirt Zombie, All Hallows Eve

*Down for Repairs

PostPosted: Wed March 6th, 2019 5:44 pm 

Short version?

Perhaps, the short version looks like this, "These are old titles and corporate wants us to downsize"?

PostPosted: Thu March 7th, 2019 12:30 am 

From what a video on FB said it was because the people who coded the original Foundry have since moved on. Now every time they update even the smallest bit the Foundry breaks, and it can take a while for engineers to find the problem, and fix it.
How true this is i couldn't say, but that's elaborated details given.

12th Fleet, United Federation Of Planets
=/\= =========================== =/\=

Main: Sarira, Starfleet

PostPosted: Thu March 7th, 2019 1:48 am 

wonder if i should post any of my old missions for the hell of it.

Patrolling

Foundry FED: Player Concept Housing*, Great Raid (part 1), Training Ground 2.0, Ultimate Deathmatch, Redshirt Zombie, All Hallows Eve

*Down for Repairs

PostPosted: Thu March 7th, 2019 6:41 am 

You should. I agree with you, this is BS. I liked playing the Foundry Missions, especially the multipart ones. However that is just me.

DV Red Headed Stepchild
Current Location: Wherever there is a subspace vortex
Current Assignment: Blowing the Borg to Hell
12th Fleet, United Federation Of Planets

=/\= =========================== =/\=

PostPosted: Thu March 7th, 2019 8:50 am 

thats 4 of 6 missions up. rather if they're working is questionable

all hallows eve
redshirt zombie
ultimate deathmatch
great raid part 1

Patrolling

*Down for Repairs

PostPosted: Thu March 7th, 2019 10:41 pm 

It's not the first feature in STO that I've heard is retired or not updated because "nobody knows how it works".

Maybe I don't understand the gaming industry but don't people pass on what they know before they leave? Aren't game features programmed in a way that is consistent and with multiple people working on projects so that it's not impossible to figure out how things work if someone leaves?

PostPosted: Thu March 7th, 2019 11:41 pm 

Maybe it's a delicate balance between allowing devs to pursue passion projects and designing to the lowest common denominator?

Early STO was developed with a tiny team, so I can see how specialized various systems likely were. Actually we know that from things like the i first couple of crafting systems, the original Exploration procedures, and the early STF design.

Then when Atari came in and upset the apple cart (even as they kind of saved STO), expectations were pretty high for production speed with a minimal investment of dev time per project. I recall reading not a few dev blogs where folks were working on things on their own time in an attempt to meet player demands/ expectations.

Kind of glad I don't have to make such calls for the future of a beloved (by many) and aging game.