It is currently Thu March 28th, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed June 20th, 2018 6:30 am 
Command Advisor

Has anyone one heard of a possible series starring Picard? What're everyone's thoughts? What does everyone think of Alex Kurtzman?

Spoiler: show
Quote:
TV’s Star Trek universe has many more places to boldly go, under the terms of Discovery showrunner Alex Kurtzman’s new deal.

RELATEDStar Trek: Discovery Fires Showrunners, Alex Kurtzman to Take Over as Boss
It was announced on Tuesday that Kurtzman has extended his production agreement with CBS Television Studios for five years, through 2023. Under the pact, CBS Television Studios has dibs on all television content created and developed by Kurtzman and his Secret Hideout production banner — including that which stems from his supervised “expansion of CBS’ Star Trek franchise for television, developing new series, mini-series and other content opportunities, including animation.”

CBS Television Studios did not elaborate on the Star Trek expansion, but EW.com hears that three new series are currently in development, while THR.com says that one of the projects could, as has been rumored, involve Patrick Stewart reprising his role as Picard.

VIDEOSStar Trek: Discovery Season 2 Teaser: New Uniforms, Aliens… and Spock?
Kurtzman was recently named the new/latest showrunner for CBS All Access’ Discovery, as a result of the embattled space saga’s latest behind-the-scenes shake-up. Production on Season 2 is under way, with Kurtzman directing the premiere.

In addition to growing TV’s Star Trek universe, Kurtzman and Secret Hideout will develop “new, original series across the full spectrum of broadcast, cable and streaming platforms.”

Link Here

Vice Admiral, Science Division (Ret.)
=/\= ================================= =/\=

PostPosted: Wed June 20th, 2018 5:53 pm 

I have to admit that I have mixed feelings about this (That of Picard, not Kurtzman) idea.

While it could be interesting, Patrick Stewart is getting older (Almost 80), and it seems unlikely that Captain/ Admiral/ Whatever Rank, Picard would still be commanding a Starship, which is what most fans would likely expect to see him doing.

Similarly, I cannot imagine a show focusing on a grizzled Admiral Picard flying a desk at Starfleet.

Dismissing a novelty show where Picard is abducted by Q and bounced around the multiverse like a Ragdoll-Time Lord for one season before being cancelled due to poor ratings, I figure that pretty much leaves a post Starfleet-career Picard exploring the galaxy on his own terms.

His career as a diplomat? Still not that interesting to me.

His love for archaeology is an obvious motive for him to wander from episode to episode, but again, where does that really lead for an aging actor?

While I can imagine Picard say, teaching at Starfleet Academy, I don't think any of us want to see Star Trek: Welcome Back Kotter... So?

Bottom line, I'm not sold.

Far more (Potentially) interesting, would be a show about a younger Picard played by a younger actor. Perhaps do a wrap-around conceit where Patrick Stewart narrates the adventures, appearing only to open and close episodes or something?

I don't know... That might be too high concept for Kurtzman and his cronies.

So, yeah... Mixed feelings. I'd dig seeing Patrick Stewart get a regular acting gig for sure, but I fear that anything they came up with would break the Trek formula in a way that would scare CBS--as opposed to breaking formula in the realm of J.J. Abrams stupidity.

I'm curious to hear what others think though.

PostPosted: Mon June 25th, 2018 6:29 am 

QorDaq wrote:
Far more (Potentially) interesting, would be a show about a younger Picard played by a younger actor. Perhaps do a wrap-around conceit where Patrick Stewart narrates the adventures, appearing only to open and close episodes or something?

Ohhhh I like this idea. Imagine the early years after his heart replacement surgery with Stewart narrating in the back ground talking about the why's and emotions behind his decisions as the episode played out. See then they can play into Picard teaching at the academy and his stories are his lessons to the cadets. Kind of "learn from my success's and failures by knowing what my emotions and thoughts were at the time" of thing.

PostPosted: Thu June 28th, 2018 8:37 am 

Star trek needs to get its head out of the ass hole that is its own past. Until it can boldly go where it hasn't gone before, the franchise will continue to be a joke.

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█ U.S.S. Wage XII NX-773333
• Fleet Captain Pattern
• 12th Fleet, United Federation of Planets
• Tactical Division
• Gamma Squad
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ 12th FLEET

PostPosted: Fri June 29th, 2018 4:46 am 

Pattern wrote:
Star trek needs to get its head out of the ass hole that is its own past. Until it can boldly go where it hasn't gone before, the franchise will continue to be a joke.

Yeah. Do what STTNG did in the 80's: move on and try something new.

PostPosted: Fri July 20th, 2018 10:25 pm 
Command Advisor

I like Picard so id be ok with him sitting at a desk job even. but im sure the show would expand on that idea if it came to be. It could be about the interactions with people more then exploration, with some exploration flavor added to it like sprinkles. :)

PostPosted: Sat July 21st, 2018 7:10 am 
Command Advisor

Sysil wrote:
Pattern wrote:

Yeah. Do what STTNG did in the 80's: move on and try something new.
. You nailed it on the head man. I could not have said
That better myself. Star Trek needs to keep moving forward in time line . It doesn't work to keep rehashing stuff we already have been. They keep trying to boldly go where we have all ready been over and over again.

Suppose to go where we haven't been before. That was the appeal to Star Trek. The whole point and adventure

PostPosted: Sun August 5th, 2018 4:32 am 
Vice Admiral

Check this out.....

click this

Kuvak
Tactical-VA
(MACO/S31)

PostPosted: Sun August 5th, 2018 8:03 am 

I will always be a Picard fan. That being said, I have read and still read the books which expand beyond Voyager's return home and the battle with Shinzon. Also, Sisko's return to DS9. Riker's adventures on the USS Titan and the continuing voyages of the USS Enterprise with Capt. Picard and Worf as First Officer. Star Trek shows should follow that route imo.

If they wanted to show pre Kirk era show, they should have gone with ST Axenar, I much prefer that to ST Discovery.

DV Red Headed Stepchild
Current Location: Wherever there is a subspace vortex
Current Assignment: Blowing the Borg to Hell
12th Fleet, United Federation Of Planets

=/\= =========================== =/\=

PostPosted: Sat August 11th, 2018 10:21 pm 
Command Advisor

I'm very excited about this... I can't wait to see how the later years of Picard plays out.

Klingons should Beware of Maverick.
Maverick loves a fight and tends to be victorious even as the underdog.
He has an aptitude for tactics,guerrilla warfare and security.
"United Federation of Planets"
12th Fleet - Intelligence Division "Khalija" - Alpha Group
Not on Current Assignment.-On Retirement leave at Leach Lake in Minnesota.

=/\= ============================ =/\=