It is currently Thu April 25th, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Open Beta Details
PostPosted: Wed January 6th, 2010 10:17 pm 
Inactive

Someone from the 12th fleet suggested to me that the open beta is going to be done like the closed beta. I really expected a stress beta. Now, if Cryptic doesn't want to do it like most open beta's that's there business. I'm not mad. Just surprised. I was planning on having the usual open beta. Especially given the instancing style, I would think the open would be a stress beta. I can't find any info that says people with open beta keys may not be allowed until until a particular time, like the closed beta is handled.

Does anyone know for sure what is going to happen? I'm sure I'm not the only one here that expects to get in to the open beta.

Post subject: Re: Open Beta Details
PostPosted: Wed January 6th, 2010 11:06 pm 

I'm not sure. I had the same opinion.

Everything I've read seems to imply the only way to get into the "open" beta is by pre-ordering or by invitation. Kind of makes this a closed beta part II doesn't it?

The Shadows
www.shadows-sto.com
=/\= ================================ =/\=

PostPosted: Wed January 6th, 2010 11:25 pm 
Inactive

Tsarsov wrote:
I'm not sure. I had the same opinion.

Everything I've read seems to imply the only way to get into the "open" beta is by pre-ordering or by invitation. Kind of makes this a closed beta part II doesn't it?

That's what's not making sense. Apparently, the closed beta had "windows" and even if you were invited you could only be in certain hours or days. So, I have a key due to pre-order, but the implication was that only certain people will be allowed per day and these are picked from people with keys. So in theory, if you have a key, you'd never get in the open beta.

That is if the person that said this was correct. I was assuming all people with keys could get in right away because open betas are usually also stress betas and part of what the developer is doing is testing the stability of everything for live.

I'm cornfused.

PostPosted: Wed January 6th, 2010 11:49 pm 
Inactive

Usually an open beta implies extended access to the servers, and access for most if not all people who apply.

In this instance, with access being given to people who preorder specifically, I don't think anyone will really know until the 12th.

United Federation of Planets
Posting: Intelligence Division, Beta Squadron
Current Mission: Scout
=/\= ======================== =/\=

PostPosted: Thu January 7th, 2010 12:24 am 
Inactive

I can confirm (ok cant link the proof as its in my PM box) but it will be open access to the servers.

In addition Open beta DOESNT require a pre-order.. the "apply for beta " button will still allow some people to recieve keys, Only the people that apply via the website will recieve the keys in waves.. giving the stress test effect.

As for windows.. no .. itl be uninterupted goodness. There are no specific tests, it will be a case of submitting a bug when you find one, not directly testing an individual system,

PostPosted: Thu January 7th, 2010 1:49 am 
Inactive

Tsori wrote:
I can confirm (ok cant link the proof as its in my PM box) but it will be open access to the servers.

In addition Open beta DOESNT require a pre-order.. the "apply for beta " button will still allow some people to recieve keys, Only the people that apply via the website will recieve the keys in waves.. giving the stress test effect.

As for windows.. no .. itl be uninterupted goodness. There are no specific tests, it will be a case of submitting a bug when you find one, not directly testing an individual system,

You ARE full of good news! I feel better already. I was really getting worried because I was debating taking a day or two off work for either the beta or the advance start.

Thanks for setting me straight.

PostPosted: Thu January 7th, 2010 2:29 am 
Inactive

Lately with MMO releases open beta is 24/7 open servers. That people can buy themselves into. Even though usually fileplanet lets people buy into closed beta, but we will just ignore that little detail.

Medical Division, Command Advisor
Current Mission: Intelligence Review
Current Location: USS Osprey
=/\= =============================================== =/\=
"In war there is no substitute for victory." -General Douglas MacArthur

PostPosted: Thu January 7th, 2010 12:21 pm 
Inactive

Cryptic always has full open beta used mainly for stress testing on their servers (this is a huge reason... blah) and last minute bug reporting.

During open beta expect amazingly long load times, mainly if we have to patch and expect a little bit of lag in game.

For some reason they have pretty good game servers but I think their patch server is an old gateway computer from 1992 sitting behind some buckets in the janitors closet.

“I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks.” -Daniel Boone
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu January 7th, 2010 3:13 pm 
Inactive

odingrey wrote:
Cryptic always has full open beta used mainly for stress testing on their servers (this is a huge reason... blah) and last minute bug reporting.

During open beta expect amazingly long load times, mainly if we have to patch and expect a little bit of lag in game.

For some reason they have pretty good game servers but I think their patch server is an old gateway computer from 1992 sitting behind some buckets in the janitors closet.

So, is Cryptic still running COH/COV? Are the patchers for those games and CO slow too? I'm assuming they are from your comment. I hope this changes just because it is frustrating to wait on a patcher when you have free time that gets wasted.

PostPosted: Thu January 7th, 2010 8:24 pm 
Inactive

APewty wrote:
odingrey wrote:

So, is Cryptic still running COH/COV? Are the patchers for those games and CO slow too? I'm assuming they are from your comment. I hope this changes just because it is frustrating to wait on a patcher when you have free time that gets wasted.

No, ncsoft has CoX now, CO was slow when it first went to open beta... amazingly slow, like pre-56k slow. After the first day or two of that though they fixed it. When Cryptic owned CoH, the first major patch fixed the server issues, but right after launch there was some issues with lags.

“I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks.” -Daniel Boone
ImageImageImage