It is currently Fri March 29th, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Just Curious
PostPosted: Tue January 5th, 2010 5:33 am 
Inactive

If they can get the bugs worked out in the next few weeks, STO will most MMOs a run for their money.

USS Republic-A
12th Fleet Honor Guard
Intelligence Division Alpha Squadron
12th Fleet United Federation of Planets

=/\= ============================ =/\=
Never, never, never give up.
Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue January 5th, 2010 6:42 am 
Inactive

Dorn wrote:
If they can get the bugs worked out in the next few weeks, STO will most MMOs a run for their money.

having one server will help it greatly!

PostPosted: Tue January 5th, 2010 6:54 am 
Command Advisor

LordOfMadness wrote:
I think both EvE and STO are two very different kind of games without an overlapping core player base. The only overlap really is the fact they are both 'spaceship MMOs'. I think a lot of people, like me, who did not really enjoy EvE but still love Sci-fi have been waiting for another Sci-fi game like STO to roll around. The fact that it Star Trek helps it out even more.

So yes I think that STO could give EVE a run for its money. It all depends on how Cryptic does things. I for one hope they will play their cards right. :D

I'd like to think that STO will be it's own character and give a new flavor to MMO's altogether.

I don't know if it will take eve's players away, but I think they may enjoy double dipping abit. I dont see why they would leave eve unless they just give up on it because they are bored of it.

Klingons should Beware of Maverick.
Maverick loves a fight and tends to be victorious even as the underdog.
He has an aptitude for tactics,guerrilla warfare and security.
"United Federation of Planets"
12th Fleet - Intelligence Division "Khalija" - Alpha Group
Not on Current Assignment.-On Retirement leave at Leach Lake in Minnesota.

=/\= ============================ =/\=

PostPosted: Tue January 5th, 2010 6:55 am 
Inactive

Tsarsov wrote:
Personally, I have a rule. Only one mmo at a time =)

I agree totally.....2 things that make it too hard for me to play more the one at at time.
1) Time - With work and family, too much time is taken.
2) Money - Especailly since my son also plays, too many monthly charges and that equals "Angry wife" syndrome :cry:

I currently have accounts open in WoW but I will be suspending them for awhile. However, I will let my guildies know so they don't think I just disappeared. That is one thing I don't like about MMO's, no one says goodbye, they just vanish.

If you are going to leave us and you were a very active player in the games on in the Fleet, please say goodbye. You can always come back.

Current Mission: " A 5 year mission, to boldly go....."
Current Location: Behind you ;-)

=/\= ================================================== =/\=

ImageImage

Playing from Nevada - USA
"It's not tragic to die doing what you love to do"

PostPosted: Tue January 5th, 2010 9:37 am 
Inactive

EVE is probably one of the bigger hardcore timesinks out there. Even with being able to sit back and watch your skills grow over time, I always found you needed to be online constantly just to keep up financially.

I think STO will have a wider appeal and should be a lot easier for people to get to grips with (the one important lesson from wow is that anyone can play it). The only areas where it really pales in comparison to EVE are the server architecture that allows large numbers of ships to be within one sector, and the overall sandbox nature.

United Federation of Planets
Posting: Intelligence Division, Beta Squadron
Current Mission: Scout
=/\= ======================== =/\=

PostPosted: Tue January 5th, 2010 10:23 am 
Inactive

Nafire wrote:
Ya i know what you mean, theirs a huge lack of mmo's of this genre and all going well STO can bypass eve, eve always has been a highly frustrating game with ALOT of scamming and distrust, it wouldn't surprise me if its the number one rage quited game ever, hopefully STO will learn from eve's faults. But i still can't bring myself to let my accounts go inactive :)

World of Warcraft will ALWAYS hold this title

PostPosted: Tue January 5th, 2010 12:19 pm 
Nafire wrote:
I'm a huge eve online player and have been for 2 years and looking around the forums I've noticed a few people have played it for a while also.

I just wanted to know the view of some people like do you think STO could could give eve a run for its money?

Also will you keep both games going or give eve a break? Personally my accounts are still active and will log in every so often to keep my skills going but not playing it, will be giving my time to Star Trek.

When it comes to large scale space mmo's eve and STO will be pretty much the only ones out there so it could be a battle, just curious on what other people might think.

I played a couple of years ago, tried to get back in recently but did not find a corp I liked :/

I think STO is going to be much more mellow and casual than Eve (this could be either positive or negative), for me it's a positive thing as keeping up in eve (making money, expanding, politics, etc..) can be pretty time consuming.. What I do Love about EVE is that the combat and ship handling is very nice, not so "arcade-ish" as STO, which is pretty basic/easy by comparison. I will also miss the way the community affects the game (by corp wars, controlling area's of space, etc..) and the advanced economy.

There is nothing like going to war in EVE online, the excitement of flying there in a half-insured battleship worth hundreds of millions, going from system to system looking for the enemy fleet, splitting up into groups, guarding gates, and all those fun tactics that developed. I'll always remember that big boom from taking down our first POS/Titan :)

Hopefully STO will be fun and social and have other strengths :)

PostPosted: Tue January 5th, 2010 3:57 pm 
Inactive

klogd wrote:
Nafire wrote:
I'm a huge eve online player and have been for 2 years and looking around the forums I've noticed a few people have played it for a while also.

I just wanted to know the view of some people like do you think STO could could give eve a run for its money?

Also will you keep both games going or give eve a break? Personally my accounts are still active and will log in every so often to keep my skills going but not playing it, will be giving my time to Star Trek.

When it comes to large scale space mmo's eve and STO will be pretty much the only ones out there so it could be a battle, just curious on what other people might think.

I played a couple of years ago, tried to get back in recently but did not find a corp I liked :/

I think STO is going to be much more mellow and casual than Eve (this could be either positive or negative), for me it's a positive thing as keeping up in eve (making money, expanding, politics, etc..) can be pretty time consuming.. What I do Love about EVE is that the combat and ship handling is very nice, not so "arcade-ish" as STO, which is pretty basic/easy by comparison. I will also miss the way the community affects the game (by corp wars, controlling area's of space, etc..) and the advanced economy.

There is nothing like going to war in EVE online, the excitement of flying there in a half-insured battleship worth hundreds of millions, going from system to system looking for the enemy fleet, splitting up into groups, guarding gates, and all those fun tactics that developed. I'll always remember that big boom from taking down our first POS/Titan :)

Hopefully STO will be fun and social and have other strengths :)

The same thing I'll miss is the same thing I hope they don't bring in to STO, the complexity of Eve is amazing but at the same time a pain in the ass, being able to control your own regions and the tactics used in game are second to non in my opinion. but when it come to construction, christ you nearly need a phd to get in to the Tech 2 side of things.

The fights i will miss, as you said Klogd it is exciting, theirs a mad buzz flying a ship in to battle you spent a month putting together and might never see it again and being able to affect world events.

I hope i see that kind of thing in star trek, but the building, scanning, WH's and skills training method can all stay in eve.

PostPosted: Tue January 5th, 2010 11:32 pm 
Inactive

EVE is pulling mostly from players of MMOs, while I think STO will be pulling from players of MMOs and fans of Star Trek, in essence appealing to and drawing from two different groups. I certainly hope and think STO will give EVE a run and be good and competitive!

The 12th Fleet
United Federation of Planets
Assignment: J.A.G. Corps
Current Mission: Pending
Current Location: Nimbus III

=/\= ======================== =/\=
"Where law ends, tyranny begins."