It is currently Thu March 28th, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat December 12th, 2009 4:57 pm 
Command Advisor

I have recently let my dial up expire, because I am planing on buy a wireless device from Verison. That way I can Access STO anytime any where. :P

The workers told me that the Verison Device is equivalent or higher than any broadband connection.

Does this mean STO will work ok with this?

In the sto speces. It states you will only need a broad band connection. So It should work fine for me right??

I am a bit nervous about this though cuz I have in my expirence fond nothing works the way it should work. I dont want to sign up for a 2 yr contract unless I know it will work.

Klingons should Beware of Maverick.
Maverick loves a fight and tends to be victorious even as the underdog.
He has an aptitude for tactics,guerrilla warfare and security.
"United Federation of Planets"
12th Fleet - Intelligence Division "Khalija" - Alpha Group
Not on Current Assignment.-On Retirement leave at Leach Lake in Minnesota.

=/\= ============================ =/\=

PostPosted: Sat December 12th, 2009 5:08 pm 

The wireless broadband cards are usually very fast, so STO should work just fine. And it will be noticeably better than your dial-up. Plus, you can access from anywhere Verizon has service.

PostPosted: Sat December 12th, 2009 6:57 pm 
Command Advisor

Jaydran wrote:
The wireless broadband cards are usually very fast, so STO should work just fine. And it will be noticeably better than your dial-up. Plus, you can access from anywhere Verizon has service.

I know I love that access thing especially since I have my Laptop.. I could go camping and even play STO!! :mrgreen: :lol: Kinda missing the point of camping there, but heck I can play STO anywhere!!!! :P

Manical laughter!! :lol: :evil: :lol: :evil: :lol: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat December 12th, 2009 11:17 pm 
Inactive

Maverick

Just be sure you are getting the mobile card or USB attachment for a current laptop that will run STO.

Verizon is currently offering a deal on a laptop with built in mobile broadband. The laptop is a Netbook. Cheep Processor, Little Memory, on board graphics and sound = Not going to run STO. The Netbooks are only good for running Firefox and Word.

I only say this due to knowing a guy who went for the deal not realizing what he was getting for a system. Now he is stuck for 2 years with a laptop that does not met his needs. He is a photographer and was looking for a mobile option for downloading his camera and doing some photo editing. All his Netbook is good for in doing his email and acting as a portable harddrive for his photos till he can get back home to do the editing on them.

PostPosted: Sat December 12th, 2009 11:49 pm 

yosf wrote:
Maverick

Just be sure you are getting the mobile card or USB attachment for a current laptop that will run STO.

Verizon is currently offering a deal on a laptop with built in mobile broadband. The laptop is a Netbook. Cheep Processor, Little Memory, on board graphics and sound = Not going to run STO. The Netbooks are only good for running Firefox and Word.

I only say this due to knowing a guy who went for the deal not realizing what he was getting for a system. Now he is stuck for 2 years with a laptop that does not met his needs. He is a photographer and was looking for a mobile option for downloading his camera and doing some photo editing. All his Netbook is good for in doing his email and acting as a portable harddrive for his photos till he can get back home to do the editing on them.

I have to agree with what yosf is saying. I have heard aboot this netbooks there not good for gaming.

=/\= ========================== =/\=
Starlegend also Brett M Frazier
Commander of Exploration Beta Squad
The 12th Fleet
United Federation Of Planets
USS Excursion NCC- 90800 Excalibur
=/\= ========================== =/\=
Exploration Beta Now Recruiting
12th-fleet.com

PostPosted: Sun December 13th, 2009 1:10 am 
Command Advisor

yosf wrote:
Maverick

Thanks for the heads up but no worries.. I dont plan on ever getting a comp through a internet provider. eek that would have a kick me sign all over it. heheh

Ya Im pretty good at not getting duped by sales people and I take a long time to make choice that involve anytype of contract.

I am only going for the USB Device. and I am going to by a new comp tower too that is specifically compativle with that USB device. I will bring it in with me when I by a comp and make sure that the comp is compatible with it before I leave the store.. I will insist to see the tower run with the USB device with my own eyes before I purchase it. :mrgreen: hehhe

I dont make it easy for people to dupe me.. And if they do they will have a heck of a time trying to do it.. They would be better off just telling me the straight facts from the begining. ehhehe easier for them and easier for me. :roll: ;)

Thank you for all the help.. I just am more or less concerned that the USB device will not be fast enough for STO to run happily?? It should but I have been disapointed by false advertising before. :(

PostPosted: Sun December 13th, 2009 8:32 am 
Inactive

the weather will be your enemy and that is for sure... i don't know much about the 3G technology but for wireless systems are big "bitc**s" when you have a rain/stormy weather...

12th Fleet - Research Division.

PostPosted: Sun December 13th, 2009 5:15 pm 
Inactive

I could be wrong but, aren't those mobile broadband services more or less just cell phone services with a data plan? I've never tried a mobile data plan (never had a reason), but someone I worked with did and he got shafted because they only gave him a 5gig/mo data transmission limit (he ate that in about a week). If you go that route, pay very close attention to those plans! It would be bad to find out that three hour gaming session on STO will end up costing you $300 because of some little "small print" in the contract.

PostPosted: Sun December 13th, 2009 5:35 pm 
Command Advisor

ObsidianBlk wrote:
I could be wrong but, aren't those mobile broadband services more or less just cell phone services with a data plan? I've never tried a mobile data plan (never had a reason), but someone I worked with did and he got shafted because they only gave him a 5gig/mo data transmission limit (he ate that in about a week). If you go that route, pay very close attention to those plans! It would be bad to find out that three hour gaming session on STO will end up costing you $300 because of some little "small print" in the contract.

:(
:(

That is just what I am worried about. :(

PostPosted: Sun December 13th, 2009 8:37 pm 
Command Advisor

Setlec wrote:
the weather will be your enemy and that is for sure... i don't know much about the 3G technology but for wireless systems are big "bitc**s" when you have a rain/stormy weather...

So is satalite, and that is my only other option for high speed internet. :(