It is currently Thu April 18th, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu December 17th, 2009 7:00 pm 
Command Advisor

AceRimmer wrote:
as far as i understand, satellite broadband can be accessed anywhere in the world (within reason) and has speeds of up to and over 20mb - it is however rather more expensive than ADSL connections, therefore many people get cable instead, resulting in fewer companies providing it. I will be switching to sat as soon as it becomes available in my area ;)

only problem with satelite is that they require a two year contrat. so I would be unable to move in the next 2 yrs!! :shock: :(

Klingons should Beware of Maverick.
Maverick loves a fight and tends to be victorious even as the underdog.
He has an aptitude for tactics,guerrilla warfare and security.
"United Federation of Planets"
12th Fleet - Intelligence Division "Khalija" - Alpha Group
Not on Current Assignment.-On Retirement leave at Leach Lake in Minnesota.

=/\= ============================ =/\=

PostPosted: Fri December 18th, 2009 9:34 am 
Inactive

*I didn't read through all so this may have been said*
Be cautious!!

VZW may not have told you but they have a bandwidth cap at 5GB! Streaming data and a 5GB cap will probably get costly. If it is offered in your area look into sprint 4g service.. I know I work there but look, Our service is at a minimum 3x's faster than VZW and ATT.. it can have data speeds peaking at 12mpbs.. Also this service has no bandwidth cap.. ie: you will not be charged overages for gaming online 24/7. Sprint is the only 4g service on the market.. the other people that may be offering it are known as CLEAR. www.clear.com I think their plans run $5 more than sprint.. also the 4g service with Sprint run $60 a month... Exactly what you will pay at the 3G competition.. take care

~me

The 12th Fleet
United Federation of Planets
USS Bexar | NCC-3162297 | Constitution Class
=/\= ======================================================================= =/\=

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"

"All your base are belong to us.."

PostPosted: Fri December 18th, 2009 9:54 am 
Inactive

xxwolvpacx wrote:
*I didn't read through all so this may have been said*
Be cautious!!

VZW may not have told you but they have a bandwidth cap at 5GB! Streaming data and a 5GB cap will probably get costly. If it is offered in your area look into sprint 4g service.. I know I work there but look, Our service is at a minimum 3x's faster than VZW and ATT.. it can have data speeds peaking at 12mpbs.. Also this service has no bandwidth cap.. ie: you will not be charged overages for gaming online 24/7. Sprint is the only 4g service on the market.. the other people that may be offering it are known as CLEAR. http://www.clear.com I think their plans run $5 more than sprint.. also the 4g service with Sprint run $60 a month... Exactly what you will pay at the 3G competition.. take care

~me

I do not know much about Sprint. But I recently heard something on the radio that they were planning to implement caps/different charge system on their users who stream data or whatever. Something about a small percentage of their users using a vast majority of the networks resources. I could have misunderstood the news radio but we do not want Maverick to be relying on a service that could change the way it operates a few months down the road.

Edit: Obviously you know way more about this then I do, but it would be awesome if you could shed any light on this. Maverick wants all possible information on what seems to be his very limited number of services for his area.

Medical Division, Command Advisor
Current Mission: Intelligence Review
Current Location: USS Osprey
=/\= =============================================== =/\=
"In war there is no substitute for victory." -General Douglas MacArthur

PostPosted: Fri December 18th, 2009 3:43 pm 
Inactive

well, if mav is in a 4g coverage area and he is using the new air card there are no overage charge to worry about. Sprint created a new wireless protocol 802.16e it bends the data waves around objects quicker and has a faster data transmission rate. These towers also have a very far range.. If 3g sprint is the only option then you will have data overage charges.. However, 4g and 3g cost the same price 59.99 a month... The 4g cards are backwards compatible... So do not let them sell you one if you are not in the coverage map... It will revert down to 3g and the 3g user restrictions will apply.. If you are in a 4g market, enjoy!!! I have my entire home networked through 4g, this includes my 360.. Please excuse any typos, I replied via my cell

The 12th Fleet
=/\= ======================================================================= =/\=

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"

PostPosted: Fri December 18th, 2009 5:03 pm 
Inactive

well, if mav is in a 4g coverage area and he is using the new air card there are no overage charge to worry about. Sprint created a new wireless protocol 802.16e it bends the data waves around objects quicker and has a faster data transmission rate. These towers also have a very far range.. If 3g sprint is the only option then you will have data overage charges.. However, 4g and 3g cost the same price 59.99 a month... The 4g cards are backwards compatible... So do not let them sell you one if you are not in the coverage map... It will revert down to 3g and the 3g user restrictions will apply.. If you are in a 4g market, enjoy!!! I have my entire home networked through 4g, this includes my 360.. Please excuse any typos, I replied via my cell

The 12th Fleet

PostPosted: Fri December 18th, 2009 11:19 pm 
Command Advisor

On my next day off I am going to try to beg Quest to bring some DSL out my way.. haven't figured out how i will convince them if Im not close enough to town. It says some area's are not available. Im certain Im one of those Areas. :( But I will still plead my case with them.

Klingons should Beware of Maverick.
Maverick loves a fight and tends to be victorious even as the underdog.
He has an aptitude for tactics,guerrilla warfare and security.
"United Federation of Planets"
12th Fleet - Intelligence Division "Khalija" - Alpha Group
Not on Current Assignment.-On Retirement leave at Leach Lake in Minnesota.

=/\= ============================ =/\=

PostPosted: Fri December 18th, 2009 11:22 pm 
Inactive

Usually once Qwest gets enough people in an area, even a remote area they will bring it out. They want your money after all. ;)

Medical Division, Command Advisor
Current Mission: Intelligence Review
Current Location: USS Osprey
=/\= =============================================== =/\=
"In war there is no substitute for victory." -General Douglas MacArthur