It is currently Thu March 28th, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Server Shard System...
PostPosted: Mon November 16th, 2009 9:49 am 

Curious what the plan will be for something like this. See the following post:

Quote:
The problem as I see it (and keeping in mind that this doesn't mean anything because it's not going to change)... is space battles or any ship based battles (boats, spacecraft, etc) need to be large scale. In order to have effective use of science vessels, tactical, repair, etc. you need one of each if not a lot more. The problem is if you limit the number of people who can be in a particular sector or instance (to say 60 which was the limit in CO at one point) and count in neutral players or those not involved in a fleet... that leaves very little room for organized groups.

When we tried to get RP groups together in CO we had to pick the lowest populated shard to do it. Now in STO let's say "John" or "Steve" are from your fleet and are attacked by two other enemy ships. Now you want to go join him and help defend him... but because of the max population, now you can't.

There needs to be fail safes in place for this. It's unacceptable to not allow you to join your friends in an environment (like a battle) that requires teamwork.

What will we do if the shard system limits our numbers? How will we make use of the diverse fleet?

This is the post I was directly replying to which was discussing the shard system used in CO and now STO:

Quote:
I've play Eve and Wow. Both systems have there good and bad points. Personally I prefered Eve's over wow's any day of the week. BTW when the next expansion comes out next year for wow they are introducing across server grouping..Which will be very simular to eve online. This new system will allow groups to be formed with players from different servers to run the major instances together.
I think it's a great idea but also I think Blizzard could do it better than that if they worked at it.

But as far as STO is concerned, I've played CO and I didn't have any problem changing from one instance to another if one was getting laggy or my group was on another instances. And really I don't think that this will be a problem in STO either, or any more so than it is in CO.
I really don't see what the fuss is all about on this....
It's really a no brainer IMHO.

Laters

Assignment: USS Freedom (NCC-32303)
Alpha Squadron, 4th Fleet
United Federation of Planets
=/\= ====================== =/\=

PostPosted: Mon November 16th, 2009 10:20 am 

Perhaps we could all agree on being in the same 'channel', that way when something happens we'll be able to help each other out.

A problem would arrise though when somebody logs in later and the channel/ shard is already full. In that case we would need a back up shard and maybe you can queue up for the main one.

I'm not sure how much this suggestion would help out, but I think it'll be of some help at least.

PostPosted: Mon November 16th, 2009 10:27 am 

Nishka wrote:
Perhaps we could all agree on being in the same 'channel', that way when something happens we'll be able to help each other out.

A problem would arrise though when somebody logs in later and the channel/ shard is already full. In that case we would need a back up shard and maybe you can queue up for the main one.

I'm not sure how much this suggestion would help out, but I think it'll be of some help at least.

We tried having a "set" shard for RP on Champions and it never worked out (they always filled up too quick). I'm a little concerned about this with STO more than CO (just because of the PvP element).

PostPosted: Mon November 16th, 2009 1:46 pm 

Hmm.. afraid I'm low on ideas in that case.

Well what you could do is join the same shard when you get close to fleet members. If person A is all the way west and person B all the way east it doesn't matter if they're both in shard 1, but if person C also enters the west zone then he could join person A's shard.

That way we should be able to help each other out if you're close enough. (Btw, I'm aware that there is no such thing as east or west in space, but you get the idea.) :P

PostPosted: Mon November 16th, 2009 3:01 pm 

I've got an idea that I'll start in the Fleet Talk. I don't think it'll be received very well, but it's the only solution I have after talking on GSC to another member about it.

PostPosted: Mon November 16th, 2009 3:17 pm 
Inactive

If anything I'm concerned about scaling. Sure the servers run fine if a group of five Federation ships run into five Klingon ships.
Fortune favors the bold and such :)

What about Fleet wars? Say we send the entire Armada at an enemy fleet (To be conservative lets say 200 ships, normal sized Star Trek fleet) how will the server handle the load and will we see any bugs as a result?

I'm sure they must be looking at other MMO's out there and seeing the problem it creates there.

PostPosted: Mon November 16th, 2009 3:31 pm 

Sodah wrote:
If anything I'm concerned about scaling. Sure the servers run fine if a group of five Federation ships run into five Klingon ships.
Fortune favors the bold and such :)

What about Fleet wars? Say we send the entire Armada at an enemy fleet (To be conservative lets say 200 ships, normal sized Star Trek fleet) how will the server handle the load and will we see any bugs as a result?

I'm sure they must be looking at other MMO's out there and seeing the problem it creates there.

Well for starters it wont hold 200 ships. If the shards are anything like CO and this being a more intensive game (with higher graphics and a lot more on the screen)... I can't see a shard holding more than 100.