It is currently Mon December 10th, 2018 10:16 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu November 12th, 2009 10:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed October 28th, 2009 11:57 pm
Posts: 12620
Hey all,

I was wondering if we will keep the name 'the 12th fleet' or if we come up with another name then the current one?

When I played Aion in closed beta the guild had a temporary name and didn't reveal the real name until the game went live. No offense to any of you, but I was wondering if we'll get a bit more exciting name then 'the 12th fleet'... :?

I don't have to know yet what the name will be if it does change, but was just wondering if it will change. If we keep this name then I'll happily fly under the current one as well since a fleet is more then just a name. :)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu November 12th, 2009 10:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon November 9th, 2009 3:47 pm
Posts: 38
Would seem like a lot of work put in for nothing if they changed it (in avatars, website url, etc).

_________________
=/\= ====================== =/\=
Name: Gauwyn Vorec
Rank / Title: Commander / Acting Captain
Assignment: USS Freedom (NCC-32303)
Alpha Squadron, 4th Fleet
United Federation of Planets
=/\= ====================== =/\=


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu November 12th, 2009 10:39 am 
Offline
Command Advisor
User avatar

Joined: Wed August 26th, 2009 3:52 am
Posts: 3514
I don't believe we will ever change our name, unless some improbably chance that someone else steals the name.

I don't think that will be the case, due to our numbers. We would have out vengeance on that group guaranteed

Like you said, a fleet is more than a name, it is the sum of it's members.

Fleet actions will define us, and not our name. We will make the 12th fleet famous even though it is just a number. Whenever someone sees the number 12 they will think of us. :P

_________________
Image

=/\= ============================ =/\=
Retired Rear Admiral-Jay Maverick-
Known simply as -Maverick-
Klingons should Beware of Maverick.
Maverick loves a fight and tends to be victorious even as the underdog.
He has an aptitude for tactics,guerrilla warfare and security.
"United Federation of Planets"
12th Fleet - Intelligence Division "Khalija" - Alpha Group
Not on Current Assignment.-On Retirement leave at Leach Lake in Minnesota.

=/\= ============================ =/\=


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu November 12th, 2009 1:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun September 20th, 2009 5:38 pm
Posts: 38
Location: Sandbach, UK
I can think of a dozen reasons why we should keep 12th Fleet ;)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu November 12th, 2009 11:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun August 23rd, 2009 8:57 pm
Posts: 255
Essanance but please call me ESS =)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri November 13th, 2009 9:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed October 14th, 2009 11:21 am
Posts: 3165
Location: Eastern US
I hope we keep the 12th fleet name. I like it. :D

_________________
=/\===================================/\=
Commander Doug3575
Engineering Division Delta Squad
USS Dorchester-NCC 91002-B
12th Fleet, United Federation of Planets
=/\===================================/\=


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri November 13th, 2009 10:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed October 28th, 2009 11:57 pm
Posts: 12620
Doug3575 wrote:
I hope we keep the 12th fleet name. I like it. :D


Well, I almost went to the Omega Fleet cause I really loved their name (especially the reference to the omega atoms and what it inclines), but I'm also looking for more people in my time zone and that's what gave the final push for me to join the 12th fleet. It is a pretty ordinary name though, I think I've even seen the 36th fleet already. The number 12 has some special biblical meaning, but I doubt that anybody would want to keep the name for that reason.

I like it when a guild/legion/fleet name has a special meaning. :D

In WoW my guilds name was Volcano Legion and the story behind this was that the 3 original founders of the guild were real life friends who lived next to a (inactive) volcano and that's how they came up with the name.
In another WoW guild the the guilds name was Punk and we were having all sorts of in guild jokes about it. The standard greeting when somebody came online was 'Hi Punks!'.

So.. is there any special meaning behind 12th fleet or was it just the next unoccupied number? :P

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri November 13th, 2009 10:52 am 
Offline
Inactive
User avatar

Joined: Fri October 9th, 2009 5:58 pm
Posts: 436
Location: Finland
Changing fleet's name is a risky process from a marketing point of view. Our name is simple and logical thus a very good brand recall is guaranteed (edit: due to our active presence on the forums). I must say that Omega probably has the best brand recognition at the moment but we are quite easy to recognize as well.

_________________
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Mendal@Mendal
Vice Admiral of Resources
USS Volga
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri November 13th, 2009 12:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed October 28th, 2009 11:57 pm
Posts: 12620
Mendal wrote:
Changing fleet's name is a risky process from a marketing point of view. Our name is simple and logical thus a very good brand recall is guaranteed (edit: due to our active presence on the forums). I must say that Omega probably has the best brand recognition at the moment but we are quite easy to recognize as well.


Ah.. the Vulcan approach I see. ;)

Well I'm not sure how risky it would be, once the game goes live you build up recgonition fast enough. The majority of the future players doesn't check the public forums, or if they check them it's only for news and not so much the fleet forums.

Anyways, it seems like I'm the only one who feels like the fleet name the way I do. Like I said before it's not a major issue for me since a fleet is about the participants and not so much about the name. It would have been nice to have a special meaning to the fleet name that defines what we stand for, but 12th fleet will do too. :)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri November 13th, 2009 11:43 pm 
Offline
Command Advisor
User avatar

Joined: Wed August 26th, 2009 3:52 am
Posts: 3514
Nishka wrote:
Doug3575 wrote:
I hope we keep the 12th fleet name. I like it. :D


Well, I almost went to the Omega Fleet cause I really loved their name (especially the reference to the omega atoms and what it inclines), but I'm also looking for more people in my time zone and that's what gave the final push for me to join the 12th fleet. It is a pretty ordinary name though, I think I've even seen the 36th fleet already. The number 12 has some special biblical meaning, but I doubt that anybody would want to keep the name for that reason.

I like it when a guild/legion/fleet name has a special meaning. :D

In WoW my guilds name was Volcano Legion and the story behind this was that the 3 original founders of the guild were real life friends who lived next to a (inactive) volcano and that's how they came up with the name.
In another WoW guild the the guilds name was Punk and we were having all sorts of in guild jokes about it. The standard greeting when somebody came online was 'Hi Punks!'.

So.. is there any special meaning behind 12th fleet or was it just the next unoccupied number? :P


There actually was a 12th Fleet in Star Trek Deep space 9. In the battle against the Dominion. So it actually does have some meaning behind it and history.. You should read our fleet history on the main page..

http://12th-fleet.com/?page=history

I see what your saying about the name being simple. But I will always join a guild/fleet for the people in it.

I hope you can learn to accept our name. :( I mean I hope that you dont wish to leave simply because of our fleets name. :o

But you have to do what floats your boat I guess.

_________________
Image

=/\= ============================ =/\=
Retired Rear Admiral-Jay Maverick-
Known simply as -Maverick-
Klingons should Beware of Maverick.
Maverick loves a fight and tends to be victorious even as the underdog.
He has an aptitude for tactics,guerrilla warfare and security.
"United Federation of Planets"
12th Fleet - Intelligence Division "Khalija" - Alpha Group
Not on Current Assignment.-On Retirement leave at Leach Lake in Minnesota.

=/\= ============================ =/\=


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group