It is currently Wed May 15th, 2024 1:23 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon February 22nd, 2010 7:47 pm 
Inactive

I like Final Fantasy's death penalty - you lose XP.

Seems easy enough lol.

If you were at level cap, you could earn like 40,000 XP above cap, so you could have a death buffer so you didn't delevel.

PostPosted: Mon February 22nd, 2010 7:51 pm 
Inactive

i have mixed feelings about it. i dont want to lose my ships :(. also their is one. crew no crew means no regeneration

PostPosted: Mon February 22nd, 2010 7:52 pm 
Inactive

California wrote:
I like Final Fantasy's death penalty - you lose XP.

Seems easy enough lol.

If you were at level cap, you could earn like 40,000 XP above cap, so you could have a death buffer so you didn't delevel.

i have mixed feelings about that. id rather them take my money

PostPosted: Mon February 22nd, 2010 8:00 pm 
Inactive

Everyone was a lot more careful about dying at least... then again if you got a res, you only lost half of the xp. If you respawned you got the full penalty.

Wouldn't make sense to "res" in space, maybe you lose your energy credits in space and your xp on the ground lol

PostPosted: Mon February 22nd, 2010 8:44 pm 

I think it would be a good idea for them to implement something. You have to have some consquence to death or you loose a certain level of fun. Furthermore, I find the game is not particularly challenging, and when they implement a death penalty, they should up the difficulty a tad.

But that's just me.

The Shadows
www.shadows-sto.com
=/\= ================================ =/\=

PostPosted: Tue February 23rd, 2010 10:40 am 

California wrote:
Everyone was a lot more careful about dying at least... then again if you got a res, you only lost half of the xp. If you respawned you got the full penalty.

Wouldn't make sense to "res" in space, maybe you lose your energy credits in space and your xp on the ground lol

Imo losing exp is very bad in STO. Keep in mind that STO works very different from FF, here you wouldn't lose exp but skill points, meaning skills go down. How can the system possibly know which skills should go down? Skills you already invested points in?

Also another point is we have just enough content to go from level 1 to 45 without grinding anywhere. If you lose out on skill points due to dieing then you will be forced to grind a certain content in order to level up. Now I probably don't have to remind anybody how mind numbingly boring any kind of grind is... :?
Losing only half exp when you get a ress is a plain invite for people to start spamming medics for resses... Do you REALLY want to get spammed..? ;)
A friend of mine played a white mage in FF and he told me he got sick and tired of the spam for a ress from somebody on the other side of the map.

The best kind of DP would be losing some crew members (sort of durability loss) in space that you have to buy back with merit. This was what Cryptic originally wanted to add in the game.
For ground I don't even know what would make a good penalty, STO is just so unique in that regards.

Personally I rather see them add some sort of penalty that doesn't slow down your progress in the game. It's always been a big point of annoyance to me. First you had to run back and next you also have to pay a big bill, even if you couldn't help or prevent the death in any way (for example d/c or a bug which pulls 3 groups on you instead of a single npc) and when requesting GM assistance for it they just mock you and tell you to pay the bill. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed February 24th, 2010 12:23 am 

death penalty? pass. if you wanna go out there and not play your class properly. then find something else.

USS Lusitania NCC-93015 Nebula Class

Patrolling

Infected/Cleared, Cure/Cleared, Kithomer Accord/Cleared, Terradome/Cleared
Foundry FED: Player Concept Housing*, Great Raid (part 1), Training Ground 2.0, Ultimate Deathmatch, Redshirt Zombie, All Hallows Eve

*Down for Repairs