It is currently Fri April 19th, 2024 1:27 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 4th, 2016 3:41 am 

Greetings Warriors,

I noticed a new post on the STO Splash-page called Steel and Karma.

It's yet another fluff piece that continues the back story to what's going on in-game. These have typically given us subtle (or not so subtle) teases for upcoming content in the form of Fan-fic-like conversations, mission reports, and similar types character portrait narrative.

Fairly recently, (last month I believe), Rivera was on Priority One Podcast chatting "Cryptically" about the future of the game. Some of the things he frequently reiterated was that STO will have some "Epic" call outs for the 50th anniversary of Star Trek later in the year. He also mentioned, or suggested, that the time-traveling motif would continue through the season--which we have of course been seeing plenty of lately.

So this has me wondering... Will we finally get some Time-traveling episodes/ missions that have us go back in time to story points of "Ancient" earth (or other) history?

Might we at long last get some special content that is low-tech, pre-federation story, such as beloved classic TOS eps like, 'Tomorrow is Yesterday', 'City on the Edge of Forever', or Assignment Earth'?

Clearly doing so would be a lot of work considering that new art assets would be needed... Likely a lot of them if any of these missions went back to Historical points in Earth's history specifically. But, the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek is kind of a big deal... So...?

What do you think?

PostPosted: Wed May 4th, 2016 4:09 am 
Fleet XO

I am betting they will be less ambitious than old earth, and just do a TOS number. Nonetheless, they are playing it close to the vest, could be they have something grander in mind.

PostPosted: Wed May 4th, 2016 10:27 pm 

everything old is new again.

personally i hate time travel.

USS Lusitania NCC-93015 Nebula Class

Patrolling

Infected/Cleared, Cure/Cleared, Kithomer Accord/Cleared, Terradome/Cleared
Foundry FED: Player Concept Housing*, Great Raid (part 1), Training Ground 2.0, Ultimate Deathmatch, Redshirt Zombie, All Hallows Eve

*Down for Repairs

PostPosted: Thu May 5th, 2016 1:30 am 

cmdraftbrn wrote:
everything old is new again.

personally i hate time travel.

Time travel episodes (from the various series), represent some of my favorites. It's probably the whole fish out of water thing, which was somewhat literally portrayed on several levels in Star Trek IV, which I loved despite its lack of Klingons--at least we got a BoP...Heh This fascination, for me, goes back to the fact that as a child the ONLY Star Trek was TOS, and those eps were some of the coolest, again, to me.

Anyway, in the case of Everything old is New, and several other Missions, Particularly Past Imperfect, when we go backwards in time it's never Earth pre-federation. The point I was making is that the Cryptic post "Steel and Karma," suggests that the Na'kuhl have visited old pre-federation Earth more than once (we saw them in the Enterprise eps Stormfront I and II, ca. 1944 as well).

Now this could simply be filler, or it may relate to an ancient Sulu-relative being brought forward in time (an opportunity to Bring George Takei into STO?).

Either is possible, and certainly more likely than Cryptic designing some art assets from old Earth, but one can hope.

People liking time travel eps or not aside, it makes me wonder just how much we might glean from the post referenced in the OP.

maj!

PostPosted: Thu May 5th, 2016 2:14 am 

for me its becoming a very bad episode of seven days. oh something bad happend? well, we'll just backstep it away.

USS Lusitania NCC-93015 Nebula Class

Patrolling

Infected/Cleared, Cure/Cleared, Kithomer Accord/Cleared, Terradome/Cleared
Foundry FED: Player Concept Housing*, Great Raid (part 1), Training Ground 2.0, Ultimate Deathmatch, Redshirt Zombie, All Hallows Eve

*Down for Repairs

PostPosted: Thu May 5th, 2016 11:27 pm 

Yup time travel is tricky for sure. The story itself needs to be compelling, otherwise it's just a Deus Ex Machina kind of resolution to an otherwise impossible scenario, so I think I get where you are coming from on that.

Regardless, we kind of have our answer (or at least partially), with the recent update about the next STO Expansion. Looks like we'll have an arc of missions that cover historical events. I imagine we'll get a bunch of, or at least several ep re-masters. And some new stuff as well.

maj!