It is currently Thu April 25th, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Paid Mods....
PostPosted: Sat April 25th, 2015 8:39 am 

:rant:

So you might of heard of Valve's decision to allow modders to charge for their mods. It started with Skyrim but it is bound to spread to other games sooner or later.

I used to dabble in modding back in the day. It was, and still was up until a few days ago, a great community across multiple games. We modded because we loved the game and wanted to add our own special touch to it if you will. It was never about the money.

Modding has been the bastion of PC gaming for a long time. It was its main advantage over consoles. When PC gaming was close to death before digital distribution brought about a renaissance, it was modders holding the line, keeping games going long past their shelf life. Modding was a way for people to come together in their free time time and create something wonderful to share with other PC gamers.

Alas, that is no more. While donations were common, paywalls were not. (Unless it was an X simulator game..) Now, Valve as decided to turn mods into what essentially boils down to third party DLC. Just another way to get at our cash. Over one night, they managed to turn the noble enterprise of modding into just another part of the business model. Now, future modders will mod for profit, not for the love of the games they play.

The impact this will have on the greater community of gamers is yet to be seen, so hold on to your seats everyone, we got some more of that fine internet drama coming our way.

Y'know, this is the stuff I would of excepted from EA or something. I still can't believe Valve was the one to do something like this. It is unbelievable.

=/\= =========================== =/\=

Post subject: Re: Paid Mods....
PostPosted: Sat April 25th, 2015 9:57 am 

Bare with me, Il get to the point... :rant:

I still believe that Battlefield 2 was the greatest game in the Battlefield franchise to this date. It was a much simpler game, it wasnt the case of the players/team with the highest level/rank or the most amount of disposable income that wins the round, because they got all the fancy gear. Whilst the new players have next to jack and have their arses handed to them every time they try to play, until they endure the game long enough and somehow rank up or fork out a fortune to get to a moderate level to start enjoying the game, like pretty much every modern multiplayer game out there these days.
In Battlefield 2 everyone had the same kit and the only way to differentiate lower level players to the higher level ones was an unlocked gun for the class of their choice (Which may or may not be better than the stock gun you had for whatever faction you were playing on), and the skills they learnt.

BF2 also lasted so long because it also had such a strong modding community which the game supported, which EA and Dice refused to support anymore after they released games on the Frostbite engine claiming "Our game engine is just too complicated for mere mortals to mod" which turned out to be absolute codswallop. Now Battlefield games like Bad Company, BF3 and BF4 that only have a shelf life of about a year before a new one is released, rendering the previous version obsolete.

BF2 had such fun and iconic mods like Project Reality, AIX 2.0, Sandbox, Nations at War, Wookie Sniper Mod ect. these modders made these mods because they loved the game and wanted to make it better in their own way.
In turn BF2 was still going strong for well over 3 years.
I miss BF2 and all other games from that era.

Now you just going to get some kids that are going to change some of the games textures and start charging money for them just to make a quick buck. Steam already has an issue of having its Store flooded with tat, games that are just awful in every way, made to the same childish quality in which these "developers" charging money for the same reasons. Customers have to sift through piles of garbage in order to find a game or mod thats remotely interesting, Steam refuse to self regulate or have its own quality control and thats just ONE of the biggest problems with Steam.

PostPosted: Sat April 25th, 2015 10:39 am 

Also the modders will only get 25% of the profits, Steam get the other 75%.

I had a hand in modding Armada II back in the day. I did it because I loved the game, not for profit or personal gain. Oh and GTR 2, I put together a couple vehicles for that too.

PostPosted: Sat April 25th, 2015 4:34 pm 

Our Prophet

PostPosted: Sat April 25th, 2015 4:43 pm 

Husker wrote:
Also the modders will only get 25% of the profits, Steam get the other 75%.

I had a hand in modding Armada II back in the day. I did it because I loved the game, not for profit or personal gain. Oh and GTR 2, I put together a couple vehicles for that too.

I did a crap ton of modding for Red Alert 2..That was probably one of the best RTS games I played.

That was one of the last games I played where factions had advantages and disadvantages but still felt balanced to a point. Now everything is carbon copy so the playing field is level..Which is fine, and works well. But I miss the days where "this faction is good here but they are weak here".

PostPosted: Sat April 25th, 2015 5:47 pm 

Yeah RA2 was an awesome game. I played that game to death. My fave C&C game is Tiberium Wars. That's similar in that the teams are strong in one area but weak in another, GDI tanks, Nod infantry and Scrin have air power.

PostPosted: Sat April 25th, 2015 7:34 pm 
Inactive

Bleh... just bleh... :censored:

I mostly modded the hell out of the Elder Scrolls games, but always used Nexus to get the mods I used.

What the hell... Bethesda, etc all will probably charge extra for the modding tools now. I had always labored under the impression (mistakenly apparently) that these tools were released under the proviso that you DIDN'T charge for the mods you made.

It's a post Day-1 DLC world folks... enjoy. :face:

LB

PostPosted: Sat April 25th, 2015 10:07 pm 

It's stuff liek this that is pushing me away from enjoying gaming...

The 12th Fleet Science Division Zeta Squad
USS Illustrious NCC 198206
Ready on Arrival
=/\= ================================= =/\=

PostPosted: Sun April 26th, 2015 8:03 am 

Husker wrote:
Yeah RA2 was an awesome game. I played that game to death. My fave C&C game is Tiberium Wars. That's similar in that the teams are strong in one area but weak in another, GDI tanks, Nod infantry and Scrin have air power.

scrin was god.

no. SILOS NEEDED!

USS Lusitania NCC-93015 Nebula Class

Patrolling

Infected/Cleared, Cure/Cleared, Kithomer Accord/Cleared, Terradome/Cleared
Foundry FED: Player Concept Housing*, Great Raid (part 1), Training Ground 2.0, Ultimate Deathmatch, Redshirt Zombie, All Hallows Eve

*Down for Repairs

PostPosted: Sun April 26th, 2015 1:10 pm 

Quote:
Gabe Newell Takes to Reddit to Answer Questions on Paid Mods.

http://www.eteknix.com/gabe-newell-take ... -paid-mods